Hunting coyotes in the mountains

I have a cabin in Potter County Pa. It is very mountainy and i was wondering what would be the best way to hunt coyotes in this type of terrain. And which calls to use.

I have called them in the mountains of Northern CA many times.
I found that they hunt around openings/meadows/logging cuts & have had them cross in front of me in the deep woods few times where I would not expect to see them.
Id set up off deer trails or openings if you have any where you are at.
I used cottontail distress/jackrabbit mostly when I lived out there. I have called them into gullies with those calls where I was set up just below the ridgeline or on top since its pretty brushy there but not always, no skylining and I could see up/down the gullies.

I had the best luck late afternoons from 3pm on, although I have had them come to my decoy (feather on a stick) at all hours of the days. Now in the 70-80s there were not a lot of coyote hunters and the dogs were not very educated.

I've tried howling here in Virginia. I did get a response once but it wouldn't come in. I've heard a lot of other guys say that howling is not as effective in the east, not sure if that's true or not, but I've not had any luck with it. Prey sounds are what I use. I do know a Predator Masters member in Kentucky who has decent results with howling, however.

I'm no expert, just getting into it myself, but I called one on the 14th. Just before it showed up I had howled and ki-yi'd. I had been on the set for 45 minutes, I had done some mouse squeaks and rabbit squeals. So the howling didn't hurt. Lots of instructional stuff out there, I've enjoyed the Randy Anderson DVD's. Is baiting legal in PA?

Ive not had one out there come into a howl, they will answer at nite & eves. All mine came in with rabbit distress & pup whines/whimpers.

Use a treestand if possible it is a very effective way. Also pay attention to the thermals. I like to hunt the tops of ridges just under the top if possible when the wind is coming to the top. Benches are also a good place to set up just get above them on the ridge going up the mountain.

Back