Remington 700 barrel removal

What tools do I need to remove a 700 remington barrel?
I heard somewhere about making a barrel block out of wood.
Any recomendations ad instructions are appreciated.

Thanks Fred

Remington uses 271 Loctite on the barrel threads to secure them. You really need a barrel vice and an action wrench. Some guys use a little heat to help release the loctite ( 271 needs 450* to break it loose. I used to work for Loctite. ) Your local gunsmith should do it for $10.00
Tarey

I take barrels off weekly from reminton 700s just some white thread compound. The dont need heat just a barrel vise (can be homemade) an action wrench and a hammer. You can make your own barrel vise but you will need an actual action wrench to break the action loose. Again you dont have to use heat and they are not loctited on.

I am liquidating an estate sale for a friend's son, there is an action wrench and barrel vise. Send me a pm with your email and I will send you pics.

you can bolt two 2x4s to a bench drill a hole in the middle a little smaller than the diameter of the barrel. Loosen the bolts insert the barrel in the hole then tighted back down. The action wrench is available from brownells or midway should be around $30-$40. Get everything tightened down, support the action with one hand and give the wrench handle a quick strike with a hammer and it should break free. May I ask why you are removing it?

I have all the proper tools for actions and barrels. That said, the application of some heat on 700 actions is well worth it. The factory uses some sticky black stuff that heat helps release.

I have only done about a hundred but heat worked for me.

Jack

Back