when to check trapline?

robcarnahan

I was thinking about getting back into trapping. Since I last trapped I have gotten married, started a family and have a full time job. I don't have the flexible schedule I used to. I would only be able to run my traps first thing of a morning and on the weekends. My question is : Would it be counter productive to check my traps at first light or just before on the weekdays? I would hate to set my traps saturday only to pull them on sunday because I could not check them daily.

To the best of my knowledge mmost full-time trappers start running their line at or before daylight. At least I do. Most animals are caught at night and the sooner you get to them the less foot damage and pullouts you will have. Also the less problems you will have with trapthieves.

Thanks for the reply. I trapped in high school with a couple of buddies. We had no instructions or help. Our learning curve was pretty flat. We checked our traps mid to late morning. I am glad to know that most guys check them that early(at or before sun up).

I do Nusiance control work here in NY I check mine as early as I can in the AM. Depending on what your trapping, you could consider Conibear traps. With those once their in it, they aren't going anywhere and they will be there when you get to them.. if your trapping leg traps for beaver you can make drowning sets to save on pull outs and twist outs.. It may buy you some time and save a loss if you can't check them early AM
Check your local game laws, Here in NY you have to check traps at least once every 24 hrs.
Good luck !

I agree with Cat Wacker, and have given the exact same advice myself. Ideally, you set/bait in the evening and run before daylight. Checking the regulations was good advice as well. The law usually allows 24-36 hours depending on state. Laws relating to connibear style traps also vary by state. Some states (Texas) do not allow connibears above a certain size to be set on land.

When I was in college I ran a lot of snares in the road ditch. If I started at5-6am I found a lot of fox were still coming up to the road before 7am. If I checked too early I would catch a few after I came through. Then people would see them, steal them or think that I wasn't checking my snares. Fox usually move til 7-8am then lay down for the day, coyotes are moving until 10am a lot of the mornings.
If your equipment is working right you won't have hardly any trouble with loosing animals due to escaping. I have maybe one in a season or two seasons that gets out on a three day check. I go to a two day check if the heat is a problem.
Some people have to check before daylight, it would be better if the sets were on private land and out of sight of passers by.In IA you seem to have a couple pheasant, duck, deer, coon hunters passing by everyday or night. It can be a real pain putting up with the thieves and bunny huggers. Out west I usually see that my tracks are the last ones made three days before I return. That is nice to know no one has been in there to bother with stuff.T20

here in CALIFORNIA its every 24 hours. but scense they banned leg hold snares ect.ect. and only use cage traps i dont know. probbly the same. every 24 hours. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Back