dispatching skunks

coyotehunter

HI guys was just wondering if any of you have ever used a kill stick for skunks? if so could you tell me what you use in your syringe. to kill the little stinkers.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Nevr used one but since no one is answering your post I will see if I can help a little. I have some friends who use them and they use sodium pentathol if I am not mistaken. They seem to like them. I always shoot them, unless my border collie gets to them first. Hes fast and humane, but leaves a real stink and mess.

there are 2 things you can use that you can buy over the counter and are not harmful to yourself. The first is acetone and the 2nd is rubbing alcohol or even better is de-natured alcohol but it is quite expensive

Here's my experience: If you want to shoot a skunk, without making it spray, try shooting it through the lungs or heart. A shot to the brain or spine nearly always makes them spray. Someone told me this about 30 years ago, and it usually works for me.

Max Bob is right. The lung shot is the way to go on skunk. It is not 100%, but works most of the time. I usually use a .22 cb short or .22 lr.

I prefer a skunk specific trap. Minn. Plasti Catch is my favorite but there are others. When you catch one in this trap, you can just put it in your truck and haul the skunk where you want. Stand the trap on end and fill it with a garden hose. Best way I've seen so far. I even have my wife pick up skunks for me and drown them. Not once have I had a problem.

I did loan one of these to a friend however and he felt sorry for the skunk and tried to release it. The skunk exited the trap, sprayed the side of the trap, then ran under his car. LOL

I've shot them in the head and the lungs and all I can say is no matter where you shoot them, get on the upwind side and remove the skunk quickly. More often than not it is going to leak and stink real bad.

Good luck

I use a 30 gallon drum to drown them Haven't had 1 yet able to drink it dry! It is a myth at best when they say break a skunks back and it can't spray!!! I have cut them in Half with a shotgun and they sprayed! the drum works MUCH better

When you catch them in legholds, drowning is not an option. The lung shot has worked for me. Head shots usually cause a spray.

should never shoot a skunk in the head since they can carry rabies in the cerebrial tissue of the brain, and shooting there could spread the disease out easier. I use acetone in my syringe pole, never had a spray.

If you have a skunk in a leg hold trap,He has already sprayed!! It doesn't matter how your gonna kill it!! Bite his head off it ya want..it's not gonna matter! Just try to stay up wind!!

Every skunk I ever made the mistake of catching in a leg trap has always let loose! I always Know I got one long before I ever see it! I catch them sometimes in traps set for wood chucks. and sometimes in a cluvert set for rats and in coon sets. I use #1 traps for both wood chucks and rats .the minute it snaps them they let fly! I quit useing regular leg traps for coon. I use live traps, conibears and duffers coon cuff traps now. all of them are much more skunk friendly! I have caught skunks in 120 conibears..so far it must kill them so fast they don't spray..(unless somebodies dog gets to the trap before me!!

Al, that is strange. My experiences with foothold caught skunks have been the same as Yellowhammers. Can't recall any of them spraying before I got there. When I have one in a foothold I also shoot them in lungs, then quickly approach from the upwind side with rubber gloves and quickly remove them from the trap. Sometimes they leak, sometimes not but the skunks we have out here don't seem to spray before I get there. Some of the skunks I've caught do get a little nervous when I start getting close for a pistol shot and will release a very small squirt but I can't recall one letting loose with a full shot before I get there. I'm sure if a predator or some other critter came along and started messing with the skunk they will spray and stink up the area. I'm sure it happens. Guess I've been lucky. Maybe we have a different skunk where I live.

What experiences have you other fellas had? Got me curious now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Take care, Curt

Don't know..but I'll gladly trade skunks with you!! As soon as the trap snaps and they feel the pain with that , or pull to the chains end they release!! As kids we caught hell from my dad if we trapped a skunk in a wood chuck hole in the hay field and the wind was blowin towards the barn.. Dealin with the skunk wasn't as bad as dealin with my dad!! Now That I'm 41 and my boy does it I see what my dad was upset about! Yes, dogs are my worst enemy when working with skunks..if the dog gets one worked up ..it's hell from there on out! I have no trouble at all with skunks in box traps..everything is slow , Usually I'll walk up and let them know I'm there.. I won't try to cover one if he is sleeping..if they get startled they will let a reminder off! Other then that I just use a Black plastic walk up slow and once he is covered, I have never had one shoot at what he couldn't see!

My experience has been like Curt's & Yellowhammer's. I've caught lots of skunks in foot hold traps, but none that sprayed before I dispatched them (none that I can remember, anyway). A shot in the lungs and they usually die without spraying, but I've had a few "leakers" also.

On the rabies comment, I was told after the body looses its body heat the virus is no longer a problem????? So if it was splattered it would not be a problem long? I used the pole for a while, they usually do not spray if you move slowly. I shoot them cause it is faster, they usually spray then. My main concern is that they don't hit the trap with the stink. If they do I change the trap.T20

when i was in my early 20s, i used to trap quite a bit. now that California has banned everything except, cage traps. which im stuck with now. but any way when used leg hold traps. i caught a few skunks. they never did spray until id shoot them. a old fur buyer once told me if you shoot them where the white line meets in there back itll break their spine & cant spray. boy was he wrong.. i think i both barrels. wife disowned me dog rolled on me. i was wondering cant a trapper get a rabbies vaccenation? Thanks for all the feed back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

most of the time the only reason a skunk will spray in a leghold is when a dog or something else threatens the skunk. With the exception being skunks caught in traps too large or strong for a skunks leg

Originally posted by AL VT:
[qb]If you have a skunk in a leg hold trap,He has already sprayed!! It doesn't matter how your gonna kill it!! Bite his head off it ya want..it's not gonna matter! Just try to stay up wind!![/qb]

Back