Mountain Lion Trapping????

Bigyote

I have an oppurtunity to do some trapping for a mountian lion, which has been sighted several times in this certian area. I have never set any traps for a lion. I have trapped a lot of bobcats over the years, so here is the deal: Is trapping loins about the same as bobcats- just a bigger version? What size traps should I use? I was thinking about the MB 750 with 1/4'' offset jaws and probably 12' of chain,& a good size drag. Am I close? TK

Well that all depends on the habitat that you are hunting in. Now thismay not be legal in your state, but try using live bait,such as a goat, calf, or if you can't find anything live, use a still born calf,of just a big section of meat. Set up around the bait so that when the cat come in, he sets of of em. The optimum set woulkd be to find one of its kills that its buried, set up there, and hopefully get it. But this is also dangerous, due to the fact that you are at its dinner table, so carry back upwith ya, like a 44 mag, .357 Mag, chain saws, grenades etc....Also be very careful of your scent.If that gets away from ya, so does the cat.

Tatro

i don't know nothing about catching a cougar, but if i was you i would go over to www.trapperman.com and pose the question to slim pederson and the guys over there. good luck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Goat works great! Back in the old days my great grandad used live goat tied to a tree. He made sure he had plenty of water and set traps in all the possible approaches. I am sure it is illegal now in most if not all states to use live bait. That was in Northern California back in the late twenties and early thirties. The MB 750 should work fine. AW

I have never trapped for cougars intentionally but have caught several incidently over the years. If you know where they are traveling it shouldn't be to hard. Cats have a large range (depending on food supply) but are habitual in their travels. They tend to run the ridge tops and come off the same areas to cross from one ridge to anouther. If you can find where they are crossing the bottoms set a typical sand set like you would for a coyote. I would also try to find where they are scraping and set traps at their scrapes.
Good Luck, Scott

Never had any personal experience trapping them, but I really don’t think it is that difficult. The government ADC trapper in this area has caught several. I believe he uses cable snares, set to catch by a foot; similar to a bear snare.

Back