are coyotes color blind?

yotehunter57

Like deer and dogs are to some shades and colours. I know they see the colors, but do they interprete them as different from what we see?
Like during deer season, how does hunter orange appear to them?

Shayne

I'd like to know this also. I've been taught that the only land mammals that can interpret colors, other than shades of black/white, are primates and man.
In Va. we have to wear blaze orange during deer season, so I do but IF coyotes can see red I might as well stay home until deer season ends.

Paranoia(sp) over the orange is why I don't call during deer season. Also if a coyote is between me and a road, some jerk will stick a gun out the window and shoot in my direction.

Shayne

From everything i have read and noted while hunting they are color blind. Of course they can see movement way better then any man can. I know a deer is color blind also. my dad and i were hunting in rifle season for deer. We were standing by a cedar tree and had a small buck come within 5ft from us. We were both wearing blaze orange with a break up pattern on it. the deer knew something was not quite right but never could figure it out. He was up wind so sent was out of the question. He kept moving his head like they do trying to get us to move or see movement one. I also know a deer can see a person blink i had a doe see that over 30yrds away. I belive a coyote has better eye site then a deer dose im convinced of that. I tried to draw back on a coyote out of my stand while deer hunting. I was 12ft up he was 15yrds out and even with the slightest movement he busted me in a heart beat. from a fast walking faceing front position. They say animals can see UV rays in clothing but dont know about all that if its true or not. Im no biologist this is all from stuff i have noted while hunting and a little of what i have read.

Last edited:
I got totally busted 3 weeks ago at 150 yards. The wind was in my face, I was 33 feet up a tree not moving. Coyote came through the woods. I sighted down on him as he came out from behind a tree. He turned looked straight at me and bolted. I was not moving at all. The ONLY thing would have been my blaze orange hat. I had 3 does walk 30 yards from me 5 minutes later and had no idea at all that I was there. That one case right there made me a firm believer that coyotes can see color!!!!!!!!!

My short answer, I don't know.

But, the first calling seminar I attended, 15 years ago, the speaker said movement is more important than camo, no surprise to most hunters, then he showed a VHS tape of a guy calling in several coyotes in a full Santa Suit. The caller had a tree or brush at his back and was using hand calls. On this day the coyotes didn't care about the color red, then again maybe that is why red light doesn't spook them?

Last edited:
i have 2 dogs you can take any color light they will follow it around the walls of the living room...

i think a animal that was called ...lighted...and shot at would remember it...

i do believe the santa suit...

the orange unless it was thrown uv rays or something of the like..i dont agree ive killed them on the ground in orange camo....and they looked strait at me...i do wear a full face mask all the time...

i would say the yote seen you before you seen it and came through unsure but as it got closer it became certain..or some scent swirled around and he caught a small nose full....or he hs been shot at by bowhunters before....

Last edited:
they can see contrasts not colors
fr years coyotes have bene caught useing the "black block" in wihter and white objects that stand out in summer spring and early fall

Not sure if Yotes can see orange but I had a doe walk up a bank I was setting on and walked right past me. I was sitting there in the open with an orange cap on and she looked at me and knew something wasn't right but she didn't know what is was. She was a young one so I guess I was her first human.

Originally Posted By: 17tacticalShawley wrote some interesting articles about this. You can still order them from Pred Extreme

Here is the link to Shawley's article on coyote vision in the October 2008 issue of Predator Xtreme.

Essentially he concludes that coyotes see the world in shades of blue and yellow. They do not really pick out individual colours. They are also near sighted when it comes to details. And the most important consideration for us, as hunters, is to recognize their excellent low light vision and ability to detect movement.

Last edited:
Predator-x did do a three part series on this, it was very good. It seems one brand of camo did much better than all the others, of course my closet is full of all the others.

However it brings up a lot more questions for me, such as what colors do bears and lions see since we have a ton of them here.

I don't want to get camo that only works for yodies when the mountains are full of other predators as well. blue

Back