What bullet AND what twist are you using for a .204 Ruger?

Pack_Wolf

I have almost given up on a .204 I put together. It is an H&R break open and I have fit the barrel myself. It shot well with 32 grain bullets but when I went up to 39 Serrias they tumbled and accuraccy was poor.
The rifle is a 1-12 twist. Maybe too slow for a 39 grain bullet, but Bergers chart for a 35 grain calls for a 1- 14 twist. I don't understand this.
I'm racking my brain with this as many are getting good luck with all sorts of bullets but no one is discussing their twist rate.
I have a lot of time in this gun, so I don't want to give up too soon, but I think a 32 grain is just inviting runners in coyotes, and I don't shoot PD's.
I have pulled the scope off getting ready to part it out but maybe I don't understand enough about it.

Thanks,

Pack

Originally Posted By: Pack_WolfIt shot well with 32 grain bullets but when I went up to 39 Serrias they tumbled and accuraccy was poor.
The rifle is a 1-12 twist. Maybe too slow for a 39 grain bullet,

That's strange. I've had three .204s, and they all were 1:12 twist. They all shot the 39 SBKs extremely well.
bored.gif

My Howa 1500 204 [1-12 twist] likes Sierra 39 grainers the best. It shoots 32's ok, 26's ok' 40's it doesn't seem to like..

Reloader 10X is what I am using now, but for 32's etc, VV N140 was pretty good as well as TAC..

Originally Posted By: Pack_WolfI have almost given up on a .204 I put together. It is an H&R break open and I have fit the barrel myself. It shot well with 32 grain bullets but when I went up to 39 Serrias they tumbled and accuraccy was poor.
The rifle is a 1-12 twist. Maybe too slow for a 39 grain bullet, but Bergers chart for a 35 grain calls for a 1- 14 twist. I don't understand this.
I'm racking my brain with this as many are getting good luck with all sorts of bullets but no one is discussing their twist rate.
I have a lot of time in this gun, so I don't want to give up too soon, but I think a 32 grain is just inviting runners in coyotes, and I don't shoot PD's.
I have pulled the scope off getting ready to part it out but maybe I don't understand enough about it.

Thanks,

Pack

I would think that the 1/14 twist would be for lighter not heavier bullets. Say a 1/10. If I'm wrong someone please say so. I shoot 1/12 twist Savages and a 1/12 Cooper with the 32 grn. Vmax. Friends shoot the same Savages 1/12 Twist and 40 grn. Vmaxs just fine.

Might need to do some more work on that handi rifle , lots of people do the o ring trick to the forearm . My handi respoded better to adding a business card under the end of the forearm . Do you shoot off bags , if so place the bag as close to the trigger gaurd as possible . I'm shooting the nightmare x treme 34 grn bullets . My handi rifle shoots right at 1 moa . It's probably capable of better but I've found that these rifles are harder to shoot groups with than your average bolt gun, do to having to reposition after re-loading

Try the 35 Bergers in it, they are not a real long bullet. If it shoots the 32's well, good chance it will shoot the 35's.

Last edited:
Both my Cooper .204's will shoot either the 32 or 39 gr Blitzkings really well. V-max is o.k., but not as good as the Sierras. Haven't tried any Bergers. I use the rifles for prairie dogs, and not coyotes.

As far as I know, all of the available factory offerings (bolts) only come in a 12 twist which are just on the edge for stability with the 40 v-max, nosler and berger. Most of the factory tubes out there will handle the 39 gr BK and under. The venture however does come in a factory 10 twist and should handle the 40's with no problem. Even the 45 gr hornady SP has better stability than the 40 gr V-max due to having a shorter overall length. I have three of them and only one will shoot the 40 v-max with accuracy. All three do very well with the 45 gr SP and the 40 gr berger.

Last edited:
Back