sad story from a member of my site today

killcoyotes

i`m posting this so everyone remembers to be safe this year. this happened to a member of my website today and thankfully he`s still around to post this story.

Went out by myself today. Cut Sticker loose on a track & it wasn't long till he had it jumped. I cut Razzle & Streaker in & the race was on. Dogs split, Sticker took his to the river side of the Ridge & Streaker & Razzle went to the Creek side of the ridge. I stayed mostly on top, I went to the creek side for a little while. I had garmin collars on Sticker & Streaker, Razzle had a Radio tracker on. The dogs were over a mile away in 2 different directions. I chose to go after Streaker first, because he was closer to a road. Easier access, he wasn't in any danger. I was able to drive within 450 yards of him. Razzle was with him. They weren't running. I gathered them up & went back to the truck.

Sticker was showing bayed (treed) on the garmin. He was over 2 miles from me. He stayed in 1 spot for about 5 to 10 minutes. It actually ran through my mind that the yotes ganged up on him. I started toward him & noticed he was on the move again. I parked the truck, he was about a mile away, but he was heading my direction. I left the other dogs in the truck & started his way on a logging road. I came into a big draw & thought the yote would try to sneak up it. I was only there about 5 min & here came the yote. around the hill. I got one shot off. It looked liked it connected. I could hear Razzle in the truck going crazy, so I went back & got both dogs & took them where I seen the yote. I found a little blood & I turned them loose. They ran straight for the river. I could hear them baying at the river. Keep in mind this is about 1000 ft drop to where they are. It took me awhile to get there. I could hear a train coming as I was getting to the tracks. I seen Sticker & he was on the tracks. I got him called up to me & put on a lead. I seen the train was still down a ways & hurried accross the tracks so the other dogs wouldn't try to come to me. I started towards Streaker & I could see the yote on a rock next to the river. I tied Sticker & shot the yote so it wouldn't jump in. I got down to the yote & Streaker came to me & I tied him up. I noticed the dogs & the yote was all over the ice. I made my way out grabed the yote & threw it up by Streaker.

This is when everything turns to $h!t. I could hear Razzle whineing & knew right away she was in the river. The river was froze out about 20 ft as far as I could see. I ran down stream where she was & a rock stuck way out in the river. When I got there she was going under. I got out within 6 ft of her, but couldn't reach her. I stepped a little father out on what I thought was rock & down I went. I first thought well your in here grab her. At this point she was already gone. I realized quickly I would be next. The water was deep, I couldn't touch bottom. I made my way back to the rock & ice. I really thought this was the end. I tried to crawl up on the ice & it kept breaking. I managed to stay calm. After several tries I finally was able to pull myself up so that my chest & stomach was on the ice. I layed there a minute & belly crawled accross the ice to where I could get up on the rock. I sat there & watched Razzle float away. I called a friend of mine to bring a 4 wheeler to get me. He had taken his wife to the doctor. He said he would be home in about a half hour. I told him that would be too late that hyperthermia would set in by then. He called his son & nephew & they came after me. They brought dry clothes for me & got me out of there.

It looked like Razzle must of been on the rock with the yote fighting & fell in the river.

Rest in piece Razzle
Your memory will last with me forever.

Very to glad to hear he made it out safely, feel for his loss of a dog. I always kept my phone in a zip lock baggy when in the woods. I have been seriously considering getting a "Spot" locator, and I hunt out east. If I were out west in the big woods and mountains I would own no doubt, I would think cell service would also be spotty there as well.

To bad about losing the dog.

I would say the guy was dang lucky his phone even worked after being submerged in the water. Not many guys think ahead enough to keep their phone in something waterproof. I'd be surprised if he did. Who thinks when leaving the house ya might fall in a river that day. That would be the last thing on my mind.

Lucky guy. Real lucky.

That's really sad.
cry.gif

Its amazing what a man will do for his dogs! I think that we have all went a little too far trying to save a dog, and realize about halfway in that it was a bad idea, only to keep going. Sad story for sure.

Back