best traps and best places to get them

predator hunter

i am going to buy some traps for next year. i have never traped before, but am very interested. i will be trapping racoons and bobcats. where is the best place to buy traps and what are the best traps(brands)? i don't want to spend alot. will #3 coil springs work just fine for both coons and bobcats?
i would really appreciate some replys,
thank you

Predator Hunter,A #3 coil is too big for coon.A 1.5 coilspring and #11 double longspring are the most used coon traps.A #3 coil may be alright for cats but a # 2 coil I beleive will work just as well and maybe better.I would reccomend Sleepy Creek brand in the 1.5 coil and #11 dbl. longspring.But I have used and like BMI and Victor.I like the #2 Bridger coilsprings. Send an email to sei@newulmtel.net. Ask Gerald to send you a catalog.Tell him Dwayne sent you.He'll treat ya right.

The Duke 1.5 coils will work on coon and are the cheapest.They are not as heavy or well built.But I have read they have made improvements to the newer ones.

A #2 coil may be alright if you have at least knee deep or more water to drown that coon on a slide wire.If your not sure what a slide wire is - let me know and I'll explain.Otherwise it's too big for coon.A good trap for both animals may be a strong springed 1.75 coil.Any others care to comment ? I have very limited experience with bobcats.I just know a 1.5 coil or # 11 dbl longspring are the best for coon.I have a Sleepy Creek #11 dbl.long dbl.jaw that has held a coon every time it's been set off.Approx 12 coons in that trap.It's one holding Son of a gun.The jaw spread is small but I've never missed or lost a coon with it.Incredible stats in anyones book.

if i was going to be using one foothold trap for coons it would probably be a #11 sleepy creek on a drowner, for the cats i think a guy would have better luck with a #3 sized trap, bridger coilspings are good traps, if conibears are legal in your area 220's in buckets work well for both coons and the bobcats, not to mention possums and skunks, also if snares are legal the work great for both species. we catch alot of cats in coon trails. just be careful with the conibears and snares, good luck and have fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

no slash i don't know what a slide wire is. when you say a #2 coil spring would be too big for racoons, what do you exactly mean? will they see it? will it break their leg and they pull loose? just what happens when the trap is too big?
thanks alot for replying.

PH,Coons are notorius for chewing on that part of their toes that are below the trap jaws that goes numb.Which is not good.Thus a smaller jaw spread trap with the dbl.jaw option eliminates this.Their are several varations of a slide wire.A simple explanation is you have a stake at the top end where your trap is with a wire connected to the stake after you run a drowner swivel on the wire so it will go down the wire but kink and not come back up,thus drowning the coon.On the btm. end out in the creek you could have another stake or something heavy like a cement block.It's extra work to set up.But dead coons do not get away.And that is why there is the preseason to get all the time consumeing things done.Hope this helps.If not I'd be happy to send you some pictures and diagrams.Or most any good coon book or video will show you.A much cheaper version than the $250 day I spent on personal instruction 17 years ago.

yes, a diagram would be great, if you don't mind. i do plan on buying a coon instructional book, are their any specifics that you recommend?
i really do appreciate your help slash, you have been most helpful. i can't wait until next season to try out trapping. i am the kind of person who doesn't do something half way, so next year when i start trapping i want to know that i am doing everything exactly correct.
thank you very much

I'll have to disagree somewhat with slash. I think that #2 coil and #2 longspring Victors are good all around traps. While it may be true that you get more chew outs with #2's for the reasons that he stated, you will still catch a lot of coons. One of the best ways to prevent chew outs, is to check your traps before daylight. The longer they are in the trap, the more likely they are to chew out. Once it gets light, they really want out. If you can't afford to buy a bunch of traps, the #2's are probably the best way to go, because they are probably the most versatile. You can catch anything from fox, coon, otter, bobcat, opposum, skunk, to coyote. While it is on the small size for coyote, it will catch some. #3 or #4's are good for coyote, but too big for everything else. If you can afford it, get #1.5 and #2's for everything except coyote, and get a few #3's for coyote sets.

PH,Send me an email of your home address and I'll send you a diagram of slide wires.Send an email to Gerald Schmitt at sei@newulmtel.net and request his catalog.Tell him Dwayne sent you.I'm friends with him as well as many other trappers.I would highly suggest Coon Trapping-The Untold Story Video and book by Red OHearn.Red caught 1000 plus coon for seven years in a row.Enough said on his knoweledge and drive and a nice guy to boot.Geralds Mega Mink video has a nice slide wire set up in it shown up close.He catches lots of mink and coon and a very nice guy.AlsoMink,Muskrat&Raccoon Trapping On Streams by the late Legend Charles Dobbins is an excellent video.Gerald carries all of these in his catalog.There are a few other big supply houses I've dealt with with no problems.But I like the fact when I need some advive I just call or email Gerald and I get a response and solution.It has taken me many years to build up my book and video supply.I usually just buy a little at a time.But the more you learn the better you will become.There is very little or no luck involved.It's knowledge + work equals results.Just like about any thing else worthwhile.It's my pleasure to help you out.We need as many pro renewable resource people on our side as possible.Their are many uninformed who would like to see hunting,fishing,trapping,pet ownership,etc.done away with.

Thanks,Slash

P.S.Sorry I can't suggest much advise on cat trapping info.as i don't have much.I've heard J.C.Conners cat video is good but I don't think I've seen it.

Yellowhammer,I know of no serious coon trappers who would use a #2 on coon.Put these coon on a slide wire if possible and you have a dead coon and no worries.Othrwise if not on a slider the S.C. #11 dbl longspring dbl.jaw is the way to go for zero to very very little foot damage.I been on the line with fellows in the 400 to 1000 plus coon range and they would all tell you the same.A #2 in a non drowning set up shows inexperience and just begging for trouble.Ask Carrol Black,Bernie Barringer,Red OHearn,Gary Armstrong,Kyle Kaatz-The big boys will tell you the same.If your to cheap to use the proper size equipment then you must like inflicting damage.On a slide wire a#2 may be alright other wise it's a joke as a coon trap.Just the facts sir.

ph: Slash is right the #1 1/2 coils spring and the #11 double spring are very good coon traps. But I have caught a lot of coon in #2 coils too, in fox and coyote sets. They are however lamiated and most are 4 coiled, which is going to raise the cost of your traps. The thicker jaws help hold the foot even if they do chew on the foot under the jaw, not as animal friendly but coon is still there. In my area because of coon hunting with dogs I have gone to the dog proof trap when trapping only for coon, of which I like the Little Griz trap the best of the ones I've tried. Alot of what Iam saying here may be over your head if so ask questions I'll try to answer them. Cats I don't know much about but from what I understand their feet a big, #2's mite work but 3's would be better I think.

Besides the books & videos on coon and cat trapping I would recommend the magazine THE TRAPPER & PREDATOR CALLER it has a lot of how to's and where for's and alot of trapping suppliers add's. Check out this website

www.trapperpredatorcaller.com

I don't know what state you are from but in my state of MO the the State Trappers Association gives a subscription with their membership. I would recommend becoming a member and going to their Convention. There you can ask questions and maybe find someone close to you who would help you get started. Unlike when I stared to trap, trappers are more willing to help someone and give them their secrets now so you learn a lot faster.

Hope this helps
Hilltop

hilltop-You read my mind.I was going to mention that laminated traps in a dirt set may be alright.In my opinion laminated traps are probably better in all sizes of traps.In trying to keep it simple for a new guy I'd reccomend Sleepy Creek #11 dbl longspring dbl jaw in water sets.And or laminited 1.5's for water or land.PH- find out what conibears are legal on land in your state.And I'll work you up a whole new batch of homework - solutions that are ez coon takers.

PH: another thing is where do you want to trap your coon. By that I mean do you want to water trap or do it on dry land.
Myself I don't like to trap water I like my fur high and dry, others don't like to trap on land. What water trapping I do I use 1 1/2, (because they are cheaper), on the slide wire if they're going to be wet make them wet all over and dead. If I wanted to do dry land trapping I would most likely go with 1 3/4 have them beefed up with base plate and the jaws laminated that way if you do get hold of a coyote he'll still be there when you check your traps.And you could still use the 1 3/4 in the water on slide wire. If you use a stock 1 1/2 on land most times you will have a trap torn apart by a coyote.

For the cats I think you would still want to go to at least a 3 and also beef it up. I know very little about cat trapping as I can't trap for them in my part of the state. I don't know how much punishment they give a trap but I think they will be a wild bunch of fur when you walk up to the set. If you find out that the 2 is large enough for the cats then I would go with the 2 and beef it up for everything. I like #2 Bridger square jaws with base plate and laminated jaws. Again that is another personal thing others out there wouldn't be caugh dead setting one of those pieces of junk. You will find trapping is a very controversive (sp) subject, what one likes other don't, what works for one willn't for someone else.

Also on the question of trapping land or water, I feel if you want numbers you need to go to the water-land will give you larger coon on a whole but your numbers will most likely be less.

Again read all you can and ask questions of those who are doing it and then do what is right for you.

Hope this helps
Hilltop

PH: also when I said slide wire, I use cable not wire. Fix them up before hand with a cement form stake on one end and a extra long Iowa disposable stake on the other end. I even use #1's on this setup you just have to hold them long enough to get them into deep water. Once in deep water they can not chew on their foot without putting theer head under and their fur gets wet and heavy and they wear out quick and even if they are not in water over their head with the cold water they are dead most times.

Hilltop

Hiltop, I planned to water trap for coons, i have had 2 sources who told me to place the trap about 2in. under the water and about 6 to 12in. out from the waters edge, and then place aluminum foil or sardines on the trap trigger plate. Is this a good method? what do you mean by laminated traps? where i live the creek banks are literally madded with coon tracks. I feel that if i use a proper coon trapping method i will most likely be successful.
Thank you very much for your help.

HP A good tape for you to get would be the 1996 Speed Coon Harvesting video by O'Gorman Enterprises. In it they talk about trapping in 8 to 12" of water. A coon feels with his front feet in the shallow water they are more likely to feel and play with your trap causing a misthrow and no catch. After watching this tape and reading a book they also put out my water catch increased greatly. In this video they show set up your trap and getting it ready to trap with. They show the slide set up that I use It is well worth the money in my book.

Another good video is the Untold Story By MIke "Red" O'Hearn it show trap set up and how to make sets also.

Traps that are laminated have a piece of metal welded on top of or on the underside of the trap jaw usally a round rod or heavy wire making the jaw about twice as thick as it is stock. Making if easier on the animals foot because the pressure of the trap is spread over more area of the foot also giving you more holding power on the foot even if the coon chews his foot off under the jaw. Down side to this is the trap when set on land and cover with dirt has to raise that much more dirt to fire in frozen ground that can be a problem. That is the reason for haveing to 4 coil your trap.

If you are only going to trap in the water I would go with the stock 1 1/2 Sleep Creek or Duke trap. Set in deep water ( at least 6" & more is better) that gets his front feet up and away from your trap giving you a hind foot catch and there is no way he will stick his head under water to chew on his foot.

Any more questions just ask I'll do my best
Hilltop

You're really asking alot for a trap to be used for cats and coon. Most sets you make for one probably won't catch many of the other so you really should get different traps for cats and coon.

Back