not a trapper, but would like to start, i have a few q's. help please?

RR- I normally "steer clear" of posts that tend to head "the wrong direction", but decided to say something here.

All I wanted to say, was thank you.....and I too supported (not that it matters) PM's decision to ask this guy to consider the manner of his posts, as they didn't "set well" with me when I'd first read them either.

I'm not to far from the (living) half-century mark, and have "been around" the block a time or two. I've seen death more times than I could count, from animals to humans.....and can not remember one time I found it enjoyable.

If anyone thinks I'm a "sissy" for this......so be it. I'm 6'3", 220lbs. I've assisted in several fatal motor vehicle accidents where I'd felt terrible for the (unknown) persons family, yet also cried (as a man) when my dog died. As a very young teen (runaway) I'd lived alone in the Black Hills of SD for 3 months, where killing was essential to my survival.

Being a "man" includes compassion, be it for another human being, or extending it to an animal in order to dispatch it (the animal) in the quickest and most humane way possible.

I'm not trying to flame CTM, and personally have no problem whatsoever with him. Man was given domain over animals from the day we were put on this earth, for our benefit to use to exist.

Posting on a public forum via the internet reaches hundreds of thousands (millions?) of eyes, so discretion of what is said is of the utmost importance, especially on a subject of that which this forum involves. I'm sure there are people that would love to see hunting/trapping/and even fishing banned for good......let's not give them any ammunition to use againxt us, or anything to base their opinions on.

I'm here because of my love for the outdoors, and all it involves. I will always chose my words, as well as my actions as to NOT jepordize my right, or the right of anyone else to pursure their enjoyment in the sport as well. By just being a member here, I have formed an instant "bond" with the thousands of others here. If I'd ever say (or do) anything that didn't "set well" with others, I'd hope they would bring it to my attention (though as individuals, doesn't mean I HAVE to agree).

If there ever came a time I didn't feel comfortable here, (or anywhere for that matter), I have the right to remove myself, as CTM has chosen to do. I hope he'll change his mind, or atleast consider it. I'm sure he is aware of the importance of "sticking together", and the strength in numbers that is so vital in the protection of rights.

I'm new here, and all I have written are strictly my own opinions. Some may agree, some may not. Reading a written reply from someone gives little to convey the tone, or manner in which it was intended. What I mean is, it is very easy to have your intended message misunderstood. There's a good possibillity that's what happened here.

I hope so.

223smitty

Almost all my trapping is for fox and coyote. Except for the water trapping I do for mink and muskrats. But when I'm targeting canines I use Victor's 1.75's for all my trapping. They will also hold a bobcat. But I've only got one, so I won't say they will hold all of them. To dispatch my animals, I never heard of a heart stomp. But what I do is hit the animal on the snout to knock him out, then I step on the animal right behind the shoulders, with all my weight. This collaspes the rib cage and stops the heart from beating. The animal is dispatched humanely this way. I only shoot and animal like a coyote, if I can't get close enough to nose hit him. Some yotes will cower down and not try to bite at you, while others are like a mad doberman wanting to take your leg off. Those I dispatch with a .22 to the lungs.

WOW!!!!!

Before you read any more make sure you are comfortable, it's long.

I've been away for a while, vacation, making bait, honeydo's etc. Getting it all done before hunting season and trapping season. Looks like quite a stir was raised.

First I would recommend pulling this post and starting all over again. The new guy wants to start trapping. I myself am only starting my second year. I trapped last year and my yield was only one grey fox. I cherished that fox. I loved every part of it but killing it, it was just the necessary evil.

I have seen both methods. The shooting and the stunning methods. Both are effective and humane. The animals are very sensitive in their snout area. Just a light tap is all it takes to put them down so the dispatch can be completed.

Let's analyze how dipatching an animal really happens most of the time for animals of all size. Whether you place a bullet in the lungs, the heart, or you "take the wind" out of an animal with a foot. They die due to suffocation. A bullet in the lungs fills the lungs with blood and the animal expires due to suffocation. A bullet in the heart, stops the flow of blood to the whole body, including the lungs. If the lungs can't do their job by expelling CO2 and bring in O2, suffocation is the result.

Same for that fish you catch, throw on a stringer and drag behind the boat. Eventually the thing dies do to drowning (another form of suffocation). How many times have you caught a fish and done this? This I feel is the longest death that anyone can do to an animal. I prefer to "thump" the fish on the head sharply, end its life and go on happy fishing.

If the bullet is well placed, the animal will instantly go into shock, drop, and die. But how often does that happen? Especiall for the bigger animals. Usually it runs 10 to 100 yards and then falls.

Most people don't brag about the act of killing an animal. We brag about the hunt, the shot, and how quick it fell, and the rest of it. The actual act of watching it die, and advertising that you enjoyed watching its life end should not be publicly advertised. Maybe if you like that sort of thing, talk about it in your group of friends, not on a board open to everyone.

New Mexico trappers are currently fighting for a tradition of their own. Some groups are trying to end trapping on public land. I'm pretty sure we won this round but the fight will get bigger. They don't need this sort of ammo! Because, what will be next? Trapping completely, then bow hunting, then hunting period, and then... YES fishing.

I say we regroup, and go on.

Just joined this site Wow what a gold mine of information- My husband introduced me to hunting about 10 years ago and a couple of years ago I got serious enough to learn all I can.. (still learning)I've only been hunting them yotes no trapping. I can call in yotes in turkey season with a box call and even get attacked by bobcats in turkey season but I can't get a coyote to show himself any other time.

I plan to attend a Missouri conservation class to learn about trapping with the new cable restraint device. Any one used them? Any suggestions for hunting coyotes successfully?

I haven't read every thread yet so forgive the question if the answer is already here!

Any other womenhunters/trappers here? The womenhunter site I frequent only has one young lady trapper..

thanks
Sheila

Welcome to the PM board. It's great to see some class come to this place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Awright you guys straighten up, we got a lady on the deck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

There's tons of info here and always someone to give you some advice. So make yourself comfortable and stay awhile. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Welcome to the board Sheila.
The members of our forums spill out enough information in a 24 hour period to help even the weariest yotes find there way into your cross hairs. I don't think you'll have any problems finding some tips or gaining advise /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As far as your cable restraints, Ole Rich Cronk has some pretty slick tricks that he's been know to pour out of his sleeve cuff from time to time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Welcome aboard Sheila, Glad to have ya here. Looks like my little invatation worked. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thank you for the welcome gents. This is definitely the place to learn more about hunting and trapping predators.

It's funny I've only seen three coyotes and two bobcats up close but I'm hooked on pursuing them. Might have something to do with the challenge of hunting the hunter and wanting to succeed at hunting/trapping the difficult to catch!!

Also my favorite wild creature is the mountain lion! They facinate me. My husband saw a pair while deer hunting in the Missouri Ozarks about 7 years ago and I have photos of tracks but they don't exist here in Missouri !!! YEAH RIGHT... I would love to see one (as long as he didn't eat me for lunch - LOL ) My husband says no you don't want to see one that close it is very unnerving!

Well enough chat I'm going to dive back into the posts and read some more about these elusive creatures.

Sheila

Back