not a trapper, but would like to start, i have a few q's. help please?

cwhain and drscott,
If you have offended anyone in this forum by sharing usefull information on how to kill an animal, they are definetly in the wrong place, and should not be visiting a site called Predator Masters to begin with. Their is absoultly nothing wrong with dispatching an animal by any of the methods you've described, and any trapper who thinks otherwise should seriously take another look at what it is that he's doing to begin with. I don't believe we need to be sugar coating any of the actions we as trappers, or hunters, do. Let's be honest with ourselves, and each other here. Hunting and trapping ultimately results with us as people deliberately killing a wild animal for whatever reason, be it meat, or fur, or just an enjoyable passtime. As long as we do our very best to kill that animal as quickly as possible, we have done nothing wrong, eventhough some of our kills will in all reality experience some pain and suffering. All we can do is keep that to a bare minimun, and we have fufilled our obligation to our prey. And as far as the antis are concerned, #@*& em'. There is nothing you can, or can't say to please those people, and I for one am not going to revolve what I say around a group of people that has no concept of reality to begin with.

cwhain or any other trappers in here, i was readin all the different tactics and such to trappin bcs i have never done it but really would LOVE to get into it, i was wondering about how many traps u put out and how often u check them, any other facts or suggestions are appreciated, thanks.

How many to put out depends on how much area you have to trap, how many traps you have and how much time have you got. Most states require that all set traps be checked every 24 or 36 hours. I think that some western states allow a longer period. However, I think that most responsible trappers will check their traps every morning. Most animals will be caught at night, and by checking them early you reduce chew outs, pull outs, and what ever other way they figure out how to get out. I've had some that apparently got caught early, and by morning had completely destroyed the trap site. I have had the best luck setting and baiting my traps late in the evening and running them right before daylight. Traps that are baited all day long sometimes catch crows, squirrels, hawks, owls, and even buzzards. If when I run my traps, a trap has not been disturbed I leave it alone. Then when I come back in the evening, I will freshen up the bait. Occasionaly you will catch an animal during the day, and by setting baiting in the evening you will be able to get those animals out and get the trap back into action.

what do you do about unwanted catches? or say you catch something thats not in season yet? i heard that the foil from gum wrappers are deadly on racoon. do you put the bait on the pan or around it? can you guys tell me which baits are good for each animal, coyote, fox, bobcat, coon, weasels, thanks.

the amount of traps that you set just depends on how much time that you have to tend to them, one method that i use to get more traps out is to run my snares and foothold traps in the morning, and then i have another line of conibears that i check after i get off work, also in the winter i will have two different lines for bobcats each line is set up with 220's i just alternate the days i check them, that works if the weather stays pretty cold. foxpro probably the best all around bait for all the animals you listed in my opinion is muskrat, on coons i catch minnows and bluegill and freeze them to use for bait. i also buy some 50# blocks of frozen ocean fish to use as coon bait, in my bobcat buckets i use beaver meat mostly. i think the best advice i could give you is that you'll catch more in 12 well made sets than you will in 24 sloppy sets. good luck and keep asking questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Are you trapping for fur or fun?

If its for fun, .50cal works great. If its for fur, they're not just going to die on thier own. Gotta give a little outside assistance so to speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

CoyoteThumperMan, I had to simmer on your post awhile.

I dont think anyone here on PM is against killing. Its what we all are chompin' at the bit to go do this time of year. A predator hunter especially has to be more wired this way then any other hunter because we kill coyotes to kill em, unless you enjoy their taste.

So you might be confusing the mentality most hunters have of a quick dispatch as meaning that "we dont like to kill stuff". No we just like it to come swiftly. Trapping is the longest way to take an animal. So when we pull up on the scene we want to end it. Something about a trapped animal triggers the instincts of most hunters to "kill", not molest. Thats the worst job, done it several upon several times myself and will probably continue to. Acting swift is my responsibility as a trapper.

No one here is a pansy waist or we wouldnt be here. Ive had to slit many big game jugulars, Ive had the misfortune to run across a trapped/snared coyotes and had to resort to very primative means of dispatching. Ive also stuck a few large game animals in the blood pumper. Not fun just part of it.

Just wanted to calm you down on your first post. Oh and welcome to PM!!!! Silverfox does our table dances, he should be here soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Point understood.

But let me offer my defense on the Peta statement. Nope, an individuals views that follow right inline with mine doesnt make them a Peta nut. Been eating venison for 20 years or better. Pretty tasty actually, I like the cutlets, you batter em up reall good and.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

If dispatching isnt your first priority, fill me in on what is so Im on the same page with ya.

CoyoteThumperMan - I am a hunter, I enjoy the hunt, I like the adreneline rush of the shot and enjoy making a clean honest kill. But I don't enjoy the killing. I do not hunt to kill, but killing is part of hunting. To hunt is to be willing to kill, they certainly go hand in hand.

Killing is a necesasrily part of the hunting experience and the necessity of it cannot be denied, but to glory in the kill, to make the actual killing out to be "the thrill" of the hunt, not to attempt to make the kill quick and as painless as possible is completely missing the point. But you take it even further and have indicated that you don't mind prolonging the pain of death. To be honest the whole idea sickens me.

I find your statements to be so offensive that I don't believe you are being truthful at all. I believe you are posting on PM with the soal intention of setting us up. I believe that you are trying to draw us into statements that can be twisted to your own purposes. I believe that you are not a hunter or a trapper at all. I believe that I will begin right now to do everything in my power to convince the other moderators and pro-staff that Predator Masters does not need you as one of our members. It is very likely that they will not see things my way, but mark my words, I will try to have you removed. If you are not setting us up for your own purposes I want you gone simply because any purposefull delay in dispatching an animal, any lengthening of any creatures pain of death is disturbing and wrong.

CoyoteThumperMan,
With all due respect and as a member of the administration of this board, I need to ask you to please change the attitude of your posts.
With over 8000 members, the amount of traffic we receive in even an hours time, and the fact that we have the largest Predator Hunting Discussion board on the web....makes us and everything we do, (yourself included) wide open for animal rights confrontations.
If you have been hunting and trapping for any amount of time or know any history on either of them, I'm sure you are well aware of the fact that the members of this board which now includes yourself, need to stick together and learn what is considered acceptable when making public opinions. We don't need to be stereo typed any worse then we already are.
Some things just need to be kept to yourself verses posted in black and white on a public forum the size of Predator Masters.
We don't need to give the anti's any more ammo then they already have. Simple hunting ethics go a long way.

When I made the comment that you made a hell of an entrance it was in reference to all the commotion in your first post on a topic that lay dorment for 3 months.
Never the less your still welcome to the board. I'm asking that you refrain from publicizing your ManlyManHunter attitude on the board.

Back