coyote fox bobcat homemade bait recipe???

cwhain

i would like to try to make some of my own bait for predators for next fall, anyone have a good recipe that they would share? I have saved some different meats to use, i have bobcat meat beaver meat and deer meat. any help would be apreciated, thanks in advance.

From another trapping forum:

1) take a handfull of horses hooves, the closer to the frog (middle of the hoof) the better.

2) cut it up if you want or leave them in larger pieces.

3) Take hooves and put them in a 1 gallon jar and add water and let set in the sun. Don't put the lid on tight or you will have a mess, it will make some gas and blow the jar up. wait the longer the better (weeks)

4) If you want to speed this process up, take your hooves and water and boil them together for about an hour, allow to cool and then put it in the jar.

Always put the hooves in the jar with the water after boiling.

Put the bait/lure in a squirt bottle and give a good squirt then cover the dirt hole with a plug of grass.

If you have an unlimited supply of hooves, put a piece in the dirthole, it makes the set better.

Fox, Badger, and yes, Coyotes love it, but so do town dogs, so be careful, you may catch Fido.

This stuff will last forever, once you take some out for use on your trapline just fill your jug back to the top with water.

Shunks, drain them,gut them, and then take a hatchet and cut them into 1 1/2" cubes fur and all, put them in a plastic bag till they get a slight taint to them and then freeze them. I used to trap in NW Minn. and skunk based bait gives out good scent even in the coldest weather. It's the best fox, coyote and fisher bait I ever used.

Good Luck
AWS

PS After they taint you can pack them in jars with sodium benzoate to hold them at that slight taint.

Catskin, that horse hoof bait recipe is from none other than Blake Box ("Bulletbox") from Robert Lee, Texas. He's quite an accomplished trapper, especially with bobcats! He sent me some of the horse hoof bait and I didn't have a single set that wasn't at least worked by a coyote and I caught several. It's great stuff! I hope I can trap some more next season.....I miss setting steel!

Take care and God Bless,

Rusty Holt

Call me inhumane but I like what Tactical .20 said. Damn cats, but they work like a charm. Also use chunks of beaver that I trap, rock chucks that I shoot, and if you are handy with live sets, catch some ground squirrels, rabbits and anyhting LIVE.

Tatro

Say Cwhain there was a man giving a demo at the TTFHA last weekend in canton who swears by snake oil for coyotes. He said to make it just like fish Oil but use snakes. He said Rattlesnakes were best. If you don`t have any come on down. Since I moved to my new house onthe ranch I have killed 6 in the yard. Two of them were on the porch. If enough people start using them for trap bait maybe I can pay the insurance in case I get bit again.

hey cat whacker i HATE snakes, but i would try some of the oil if you would make it for me, i saw on another forum that they said snake oil works good in some areas of the country, but it doesn't work as well in other areas. the way those guys were talking it would work good if you had rattlesnakes around, but if there weren't any around the snake oil wouldn't work as good. hope that makes sense i have a hard time typing what i am thinking.lol i'll try to get an email to ya catwacker i've got some questions. thanks to everyone else for the bait help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back