The difference between Mec shotgun reloaders

lvdogger

Other than a few changes in the base, does anyone know the difference between the MEC 600 jr, the Mark V, and the Sizemaster SM77 shotgun reloaders for a 12 guage?

Last edited:
I do not believe the 600 Jr resizes the brass head for one thing.

Mec 600 Jr. Mark V
This single stage loader is the world's No. 1 shotshell reloader. Features quick, simple operation with minimum of effort. Wad positioning is quick and easy. One-piece Spindex crimp starter gives a perfect crimp every time. Cam-action crimp die ensures that each shell is returned to its original condition. Can load 6 to 8 boxes per hour and can be upgraded at a later date with the 285CA primer feed (not available for .410) which eliminates the need to handle primers individually. Adjustable for 3" shells. Die sets available in all gauges. Available in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410.

MEC Press 77 Sizemaster 12ga 1 1/8oz Bar 812012

Single-stage reloader. Adjustable For 3'' shells. ""Power Ring"" Collet reSizer returns every base to factory specifications. Resizing Station handles Brass or steel heads, both high and low base. E-Z Prime auto Primer feed is standard.

Thanks Sumrifle. You really know your stuff. Lately I've seriously considered getting into reloading, and even put a few bids in on Ebay for the Mec 600 Jr. and the Mark V, but fortunately was outbid. Later that day I was chatting with a friend about it and he gave me a Sizemaster he wanted to get rid of, but he didn't know much about it. Someone gave it to him, but he uses the Mec 9000 and has little use for the single stage loaders. I was just wondering if I got a good deal. I think so. It has a 302 118 bar with a #29 bushing. From what I've read on line, that's fairly standard for shooting trap or skeet, which is what I do 99.9% of the time, as my lab is gun shy.

Originally Posted By: sumrifleI do not believe the 600 Jr resizes the brass head for one thing.

Mec 600 Jr. Mark V
This single stage loader is the world's No. 1 shotshell reloader. Features quick, simple operation with minimum of effort. Wad positioning is quick and easy. One-piece Spindex crimp starter gives a perfect crimp every time. Cam-action crimp die ensures that each shell is returned to its original condition. Can load 6 to 8 boxes per hour and can be upgraded at a later date with the 285CA primer feed (not available for .410) which eliminates the need to handle primers individually. Adjustable for 3" shells. Die sets available in all gauges. Available in 10, 12, 16, 20, 28 and .410.

MEC Press 77 Sizemaster 12ga 1 1/8oz Bar 812012

Single-stage reloader. Adjustable For 3'' shells. ""Power Ring"" Collet reSizer returns every base to factory specifications. Resizing Station handles Brass or steel heads, both high and low base. E-Z Prime auto Primer feed is standard.

The 600jr does resize the head, it's not a collet resizer but it does resize. The big difference between a ring sizer like the 600 jr has and a collet sizer is the amount of effort required to resize the head....I've never had problems with the 600 jr but if you want the least effort cycling the press you want to go with one that has a collet sizer of the two.

Originally Posted By: lvdoggerThanks Sumrifle. You really know your stuff.

Actually .....

The 600 JR DOES resize, and does a good job of doing it.

I suggest you go to MEC's website and read about their models for yourself.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Hidalgo
lvdogger said:
I suggest you go to MEC's website and read about their models for yourself.
wink.gif

Been there. It just added to my confusion about how one model differs from another as they don't say. Also, getting my hands on a reloading manual might be more of a challenge than I anticipated. Bass Pro is out as are several other gun stores around Las Vegas. I'll just have to order one on line.

As a teacher with the next several days off, I would surely like to be reloading now as there isn't anything else to do as the rain here in the southwest has us desert rats nearly washed out. Not complaining though - we'll take all we can get.

The MEC 600 JR is a great shotshell press, it will get you into the game for a fairly small price and it will produce excellent ammo. I reload all my .410 ammo on the 600 JR I picked up used off Ebay a few years back, I've got not regrets at all.

For reloading info you might want to contact Ballistic Products They have an amazing amount of knowledge and although they might not always have the best price they generally do have anything you will need to reload shotshells and they provide excellent customer service.

Originally Posted By: lvdogger
As a teacher with the next several days off,

I congratulate you for being an Educator ..... our young men & women should thank you a thousand times over!
thumbup.gif

To simplify your question:

The 600jr is all you'll ever need to load shotshells unless you're going to be shooting 15,000-20,000 rounds per year. My son shoots 15,000+ yearly amongst 3 different gauges (20,28,410) and I load them all on 3 different 600's. They will get the job done, but not as quickly as the other progressive machines that spit out a round every time the handle is pulled. The progressives are indeed way faster, but also much more complicated to set up and monitor at times.

In a nutshell ..... the 600 is slowest. But it is very adequate. It does resize by dropping a resizing tube over the brass. The other MECs resize by using a collet system that surrounds the brass and "squeezes" it back to factory specs. Unless you have a finicky autoloader with a tighter-than-normal chamber, the 600 will resize just fine.

I'd be more than happy to answer any specific concerns that you have.

Thanks for the replies and kind words. I can now see the differences. Since I have the Sizemaster, and it seems to be adequate, I'll go ahead and start with that.

I found and ordered a handbook on line and as soon as I get it and read some more, I'll begin this hobby that seems to lead to an addiction with many of you. I admit it does seem intriguing with a tremendous amount of science (I teach science) behind it.

I enjoy reading all the threads in this forum and realize I have a long way to go to even come close to the knowledge of reloading some of you have obtained. I'm glad you're willing to share it and answer questions. I admit to being somewhat overwhelmed by all that goes into producing a single reload.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: lvdoggerIt has a 302 118 bar with a #29 bushing. From what I've read on line, that's fairly standard for shooting trap or skeet, which is what I do 99.9% of the time, as my lab is gun shy.

The 118 bar marking means that it's for 1 1/8 oz. loads. Here is Mec's bushing chart for the powder bushing: Bushing Chart

I have an old style MEC Jr. (pre-1985) that I bought for $20 from a guy at a gun show several years ago. I've loaded beaucoup shells on it since. It's not the fastest in the world, but I only shoot a few hundred rounds a year, so it works fine for me. I use the 118 bar with 7 1/2 shot and a #28 bushing with IMR 700-X for 12 gauge cowboy action loads. They're easy on the shoulder but still have plenty of oomph for knockdowns, and depending on how they pattern in your shotgun, should make good trap loads...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lvdoggerIt has a 302 118 bar with a #29 bushing. From what I've read on line, that's fairly standard for shooting trap or skeet, which is what I do 99.9% of the time, as my lab is gun shy.

If you don't have a scale for weighing powder, that should be the very next thing you get in order to verify the powder drops. The bushing charts are only for a place to start.

Please be safe when reloading.

Hidalgo does a good job of outlining the differences in the 600 & the sizemaster. All the 600's (jr, mark V, etc) are pretty much the same - ring sizer rather than collet sizer. difference is, I think, year of manufacture. the 600 jr is a bit older than the mark V.
I suggest a visit to the shotgunworld forums (shotgunworld.com). There is a wealth of information there from experienced shotshell reloaders.

Question about the Mec 600 Jr. Does anyone have problems resizing high base brass in theirs. I have no problems with the low base hulls such as ww AA or R-P hulls. Is it an adjustment or just the nature of the beast. I have 2 600's in 12 ga, 1 in 20ga., an M76 Grabber, and a 450 that needs some parts. I don't like the progressives as I am used to the routine of the 600's. The M76 is complete and works. I just don't care for it.

RTLOF(TONY)

Both my 28 & 410 hulls are what could be considered as "high brass", and I run them through just like the 20's. Never had a problem.

Back