180 TTSX, 300 wsm

Good luck , i tried 4 different powders and 4 different loads in 2 different calibers and best i got was 1 1/2 groups. Not good enough for me. Talk to alot of other guys that had the same problem with them. Hope you have better luck. I wont ever waste that money again.

What was the problem? The 168 TTSX out of my 300 wsm shot lights out going 12 shots, 10 animal sin Africa (only had to shoot one animal more than once, my fault)

I have talk to several others and they all had the same thing ,, we like the idea of the bullets but none of us can get them to group like our other rounds. The best i did out of one of my guns was Pie Plate groups the others were
1 1/2 but i just cant go hunting with that type of groups.

They must shoot better in the bigger calibers , the smaller ones sure dont like them.

Are you talking the TTSX in general, or specifically the 180 TTSX? I shoot the TTSX exclusively from my .257 wby and it holds .5-.75 MOA out to 700 yards. My 300 wsm I did not have time to truely dial in the load, I stopped at about .8 consistently.

I have TSX loads for 308 Win, 300 WSM, 6mm Rem, and 25-06 Rem,
and a TTSX load for the 6mm Rem, and the 6mm WOA. I just
started switching over to TTSX loads, and have to shoot a
bunch of TSX and XBT loaded ammo up first. Anyway, I am able
to get all to MOA and most to sub MOA. Very early in my
experiments with Barnes I had this same issue. I called
Barnes, and they HIGHLY suggested that I measure my chamber,
and seat the bullets somewhere around .050" off the lands.
I purchased a chamber OAL measuring device that uses modified
cases, found the COL for .050" off the lands, and dang if they
weren't correct. The groups settled right down. This year
I shot a nice antelope buck at 320 yards, with the 6mm Rem.
launching 80 gr. TTSX bullets, and hit within 1" of where I
was aiming, twice.
grin.gif
The first one broke the spine,
above the front shoulders, and the next one hit the neck.
I can't stand flopping critters.
rolleyes.gif
The neck on
a flopping antelope is a pretty small target. A couple of
days later I neck shot an antelope fawn at 175 yards, which
is even a smaller target...No problems with accuracy with
my TTSX loads.

What powders did you try for the 300 WSM? Also, did you use
magnum primers?

Squeeze

I tried developing a load for my 300 wsm with 180 grain bullets to use on Africa plains animals. I must've tried 6 different bullets and about that many types of powder and many many trips to the rifle range. I got the same results with the Barnes TTZX bullets. I couldn't get them to group well. I guess they just didn't like my rifle. I have a Browning Abolt. May be it was just the gun also. But i finally found a combo that worked. Now the 150grain and the 165grain no problem just the 180 grain it was very tempermental. I had some Federal 165 grain that shot the quarters off target. But like i said the 180's it was like it was a different rifle.

We had the same problem with my friends 300 WSM and 180gr bullets. We got to loads worked up with 165gr Speer Grand Slams and Nosler partitions.

My son and I have shot the TSX (non-tipped) in both a 7mm STW and a .300 RUM. We shot 168 gr. in the RUM and 140 gr. in the STW. Both are real winners.

The .300 RUM took a Wyoming antelope buck at 360 yards and dropped it where it stood. I have the shot on video.

The STW dropped a mule deer on the spot at 388 yards, another mule deer at 137 yards, and an antelope doe at 403. The antelope doe went about 25 yards and dropped.

I'm sold on the TSX bullets.

Here is a YouTube clip of the buck antelope at 360 yards and the mule deer at 137 yards.

No offense to the guys who cant get them to shoot but I think you must be doing something wrong.

They are VERY COAL sensitive. Usually, shorter is better than longer for accuracy. My 270 wsm, 257 wby, 300 wsm all shoot them well under an inch, 3 or 4 different rifles I have personally loaded for have shot them well. If they are not shooting well, shorten the COAL and I bet as the lenght gets smaller, so will group size.

Back