Shotgun for coyotes and deer ?

moss will get alot of votes not bad gun for the money. i like my rem 870's i do have a moss is the safe. never have shot one but have heard good things about the new 887 from rem. my yote shotgun is a stoger 2000 semi auto lot of people dont like them and have had trouble with them. got mine on a trade and shot a few thousand clays in the backyard with it with no problems, i screwed a dead yote chock in it and now it is just a yote gun for me. shotguns r more a personal thing if u can shoot it before u by it that would be great cause if it fits you good when u shoulder it u will shoot good with it if it doesnt fit well it is harder to get it to shoot good for u.

Thanks PJ. Had it between the 500 and the 870 and now you have to just confuse me all over again and throw out the 870!

I just looked at thee 870 Nitro Magnum Tactical, pretty sweet looking. Would probably work for the coyotes with the right choke, wonder about shooting slugs? Would the 18 1/2" barrel be very good for deer hunting?

I shot two coyotes with my Rem 1100!!
Thats a 2 3/4 inch chamber!!
1 with 00 buck at 32 yrds & the other at 62 yrds with #4 buck.

Depending on the deer, you may have to track a bit with buckshot.
May be better with a slug on the deer!!

Either will work.

Mossberg has thumb safety Remington is by the trigger guard.

Remington might have a few more accessories, Tactical crap which isnt going to matter for hunting.

Remington might have better resale but are you looking at selling it? If so why did you buy it.

What kind of performance would I get from rifled slugs from a smooth bore 18 1/2" barrel? Someone told me there are rifled chokes to, sorry I'm just not real familiar with shotguns.

My Mberg 835 combo shoots very well with both barrels.Seems to shoot most any slug but for coyotes/birds the Ulti Mag choke only shot BB's and smaller shot into good patterns.I got the donut pattern when I tried #4 buck.

Got me an Remington 870 Express ShurShot with a 23" Rifled Cantilever Barrel for shooting slugs. If I decide to use it for the coyotes I'll buy another barrel with chokes. Really like the stock on this shotgun. Any suggestions on what scope to put on this? I have a red dot but am thinking a regular scope would be best.

870_12gauge_ShurShot.JPG

Nice looking gun there. I think the 870 should treat you well. As far as scopes go, I bought a Leupold VX1 2-7x33 for my 11-87 with cantilevered barrel last year. I have hunted both Illinois gun seasons the last 2 years and have been happy with it. I chose that scope based on the reticle. I am not a big fan of the BDC or whatever each company calls them scopes. I felt like this was the best scope for my price range of $250.00 at the time (think it was just under that after shipping). The turkey plex looked pretty neat too but didnt want the brown scope on my black gun. I spent a lot of time reading and deciding which one to buy. I had a pretty difficult time myself as it seems there are not really that many shotgun specific scopes on the market when compared to rifle scopes or even muzzleloader scopes.

I've shot the Mossberg 500 and also the Winchester pump (not sure of the model 1200 maybe?) Anyhow, I'm a Remington man...My 870 has never failed me, but the Mossberg is tried and true too....Seems to me most major companies have pretty much perfected the pump action shotgun...I seldom hear of anyone having a problem....

One of the nice things about a cheap 500 or 870 Express is that you don't feel bad taking the spray paint to it for a camo job...

Mine is fitted with adjustable fiber optic rifle sights..I got the kind that are magnetic, but once I got them in position, I glued them down with apoxy...

This February I'll be striping my 870 down and giving it a fresh camo job...

Back