12 gauge ammo

COYKILL

I have a Carlsons Dead Coyote choke tube and the Hevi-shot is so expensive and we can't use buckshot here so I was wondering if anyone uses Remington 3 1/2" 4 shot Nitro turkey. I will pattern it to see how it shoots but is it going to have the nock down power. 12 gauge Mossberg 835 is what I will be shooting

Lead number 4's will not work very good on coyotes. Number 4's will kill coyotes if you can shoot them in the head. You need shot big enough to penetrate deep into the coyote.

You don't always get a standing head shot at coyotes. Over half of the coyotes I kill with a shotgun are running away from me when they get shot.

Federal Premium Copper Coated Lead BB's works pretty good.

The Hevi-Shot Dead Coyote "T" shot and the Remington Wingmaster HD Waterfowl BB and HD Predator "T" shot loads are great shotgun shells for coyotes. But they are expensive.

probably not the best load but i have killed several yote with turkey loads when turkey hunting,at 30 yards and in there lethal.not sure about the longer shots.

X-nay the turkey loads-nay... use the Federal lead BB load and pattern to determine your effective range.

first coyote I ever killed was with my 12 gauge at about 30 yards with 2 3/4 copper plated 5's basically my pheasant load but it still killed it dead!! Shot it in the neck

Originally Posted By: KS22-250first coyote I ever killed was with my 12 gauge at about 30 yards with 2 3/4 copper plated 5's basically my pheasant load but it still killed it dead!! Shot it in the neck

Ok... I guess I'm missing your point?

Copper plated and buffered BB or #4 BUCK (not bird shot) are very good choices. The smaller shot that is used for turkey or pheasant are bad choices for coyote whacking.

I have had good luck on coyotes with #4 buffered turkey loads. Just shoot them in the head or from the side and not the azz when they are leaving. #2 or BB is better.

Well I use #4 buck but since you said you can't use buckshot I would try a load with T shot or BB. Most loads, whether factory or reloads, that are well suited for coyotes aren't cheap. You will just have to spend a little money up front when patterning different loads in your gun. Once you find one that patterns well at your yardages it shouldn't be too expensive anymore... If it is, than you are shooting lots of coyotes, which is always a good problem to have...haha Good luck finding your load!

Originally Posted By: DJONESGC, why do you say not to use turkey loads? Here where I hunt for yotes that is all I am allowed to use.

Well, first there are so many superior loads available it just doesn't make good sense to use a marginal load. Second, after about a dozen coyotes shot with turkey loads over the years I'm no fan. I've seen the results, well not always because some coyotes got clean away, anyway I have been less than impressed overall. Again, especially when there are much better loads readily available. The difference between hitting a coyote with a turkey load and a load of BB, T, or No. Four Buck is very obvious and the end result is much different at mid to longer shotgunning ranges.

the winchester 3.5 inch #4 buck load is awesome for me,patterned some winchester dead coyote b shot,looks good but have yet to whack a yote with them.

I recently got a Sizemaster Shot shell reloader but until I get it up and running with the T & F I am ordering. I bought some #4 buck today. I was at Cabelas in Kansas City today and I bought 5 boxes of Remington 3" #4 41 pellet loads. They were like $5.67 a box of 5. Thats not a bad price at all so if Dead Coyote which breaks the bank is out of your reach, which is most of us, there are other options.

Plus Cabelas was giving out coupons at the door today....basically got the #4 buck for free when I was all said and done.

I found some Hevi shot Dead Coyote T shot for #32.00 a box of 10 so I'll pick it up friday. More than I wanted to spend but if it works I would rather pay a little more and have a kill than a wounded animal that gets away. Thanks for the input.

I've killed several coyotes while turkey hunting, and have always had to shoot them at least twice. What about some Hevi-Shot BB's designed for waterfowl? How would they work, and I wonder what choke would work best?

I'll second the post by KAG. I also use the Remington #4 buck 3 in. Magnum load. I have killed severaly yotes with it out to 40 yds. On occasion I have been able to find #4 buck in 3 1/2 Magnum loads as well at Bass Pro. They usually run about $7.50/box of 5.

I think the most important thing for the shotgun is the choke tube. I personally use a patternmaster in my Remington 1187.

Back