6x45 , range report w/pics First Blood w/pics

I'll bet deer wings tastes great!

As to the 85 gr. BTHP GK, looks like it penetrated very well. That was quite a distance to travel for that bullet out of a small case.

Nice going on the deer.

Originally Posted By: KAGMan, you got a lot of wings off that doe.....
tt2.gif

To be honest I think quite a few of the varmint bullets are devastating on deer sized game, specifically the Speer TNT bullets. I am sure other work well also.

I was wondering why we kept seeing deer tracks in the chicken coop
smile.gif

I will have to test some different ones, my only worry with a varmint round, is too much expansion, and not getting a exit wound.
I built the gun for my 9, and 12 year old to hunt with, and if they do not make a great shot, I want a blood trail to follow. I may try some match bullets also. Bullets built for the .243 Win, may hold together and penetrate more at 6x45 speeds. I killed several hogs this summer with a 77gr SMK in my 223, and they did a awesome job, great expansion with great exit wounds.

BB, it is snowing here too, in central Alabama.

I generally shoot Sierra 75 gr. HPs in my 6x45. They are relatively fur friendly on coyotes and bobcats, but at a faster velocity like from a .243 or 6mm, they are more of a varmint bullet.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
I'll bet deer wings tastes great!

As to the 85 gr. BTHP GK, looks like it penetrated very well. That was quite a distance to travel for that bullet out of a small case.

Nice going on the deer.

Thanks.
It did penetrate well, but I am not sure it expanded much, entry and exit, same size hole.

I generally shoot Sierra 75 gr. HPs in my 6x45. They are relatively fur friendly on coyotes and bobcats, but at a faster velocity like from a .243 or 6mm, they are more of a varmint bullet.

Have you tried the 58gr Vmax, I have been told they are coyote hammers.

I haven't tried the 58 V-Max in the 6x45, but I'm currently working on a load with that bullet in a .243. I'm hoping for an explosive round that won't destroy fur. Not sure if the .243 will give the performance I want or not.

Do you have any experience with those bullets in a .243?

David

I haven't tried the 58 V-Max in the 6x45, but I'm currently working on a load with that bullet in a .243. I'm hoping for an explosive round that won't destroy fur. Not sure if the .243 will give the performance I want or not.

Do you have any experience with those bullets in a .243?

David

No, I do not own a .243, but a buddy of mine coyote hunts with one, I will ask him if he has tried the 58 Vmax, He is killing them for farmers, and is not keeping the fur, so he does not care if they blow up.

Originally Posted By: The WolverineOriginally Posted By: 6mm06

Have you tried the 58gr Vmax, I have been told they are coyote hammers.

I have a buddy thats shooting the 58 gr Vmax in his 6x45 cant remeber his load but i will ask and see. He said they are hammers out of the 6x45 over 3000fps.

Originally Posted By: nitiswill the 58s shoot ok out of the 8 twist?

They should if your barrel likes them, and a 6x45 isnt fast enough to spin them apart. Plus the faster they spin, the more devastating they are, I've heard.

Hey Billy,

You are my buddy for sure. I appreciate all your input. Good to hear lots of reports from guys who have experienced the various bullets.

The reason I'm asking is this: A Predator Masters member from Australia, VicFox, plans to come across the big pond and hunt with me next year. I'm trying to put together a rig that will put down yotes and bobcats without blowing holes in them. VicFox would like a trophy of each mounted. I've been leaning toward the .243 due to my love of the 6mm cartridge, but I can also use a .223 if need be. I have shot the 75 gr. Sierra HPs in the .243, get good accuracy, but haven't taken any predators with it. I was thinking perhaps it's too heavy, and that's why I loaded up some 58 grainers, thinking it might be more fur friendly.

I have a Dtech 6x45 that is a great predator outfit, but my "mate" prefers a bolt action.

The .243 is a short (20" barreled), light-weight Remington Model 7 that I am hoping to use, to find some decent fur-friendly loads - if that is even possible with a .243. I may be asking for the impossible with a .243, I just don't have experience with that cartridge on predators. So, I have been asking a lot of questions lately.

By the way, VicFox and I are in the process of finding places to go for predators. We already have a hunt scheduled with a PM member in New Mexico. Without being too forward, I hope, if someone has a good place to call predators - for VicFox to go home one happy guy, and would like some company, we would appreciate any invitations.

I plan to video the hunts as much as possible. I hope to get some decent footage for VicFox to have for memories sake, and would like to show him some good old American hospitality.

We are also considering going to Wyoming for antelope and mule deer, in trying to give him a variety of hunting opportunities other than just predators.

Sorry if I'm being too forward, just looking for possibilities that might give VicFox memories for a lifetime.

David

I am about to fry up some chicken strips after church, and my 12 year-old says "lets fry some deer strips".

I cut some T-loin into chunks, wrapped it in bacon, stick a toothpick threw it, battered it and dropped them in the fryer.

They were pretty dang tasty, just do not cook too long, about a minute is all it takes.
IMAG0355.jpg

I've used the 87gr Vmax with my 243 wssm. It is a drt round and can be a pretty fur friendly one too. The exception is on some full broadside shots where there is an exit. Then it can get pretty messy.

Come on over, we will shoot too, I have a 200 yard range in my pasture. Now I have a little pork to cook also. My nine year-old shot a little hog this afternoon with the 6x45, it's little, but it will eat good.

The 85gr BTHP SGK did a much better job on the hog, busted a rib going in, and busted four going out, with complete mush in between. Half dollar size exit, great blood trail, the little sucker had heart, she made a perfect double lung shot from 50 yards, and it still ran sixty yards into a thicket before it piled up.
IMAG0357-1.jpg

Exit
IMAG0365-1-1.jpg

I had a 6x45 upper about 5 years ago and had really good performance on deer usin the nosler 80gr ballistic tip. It would break both shoulders and still exit and leave a big mess in the chest!

Back