Who hunts rabbits without dogs???

Originally Posted By: CutleryotehunterI do but its because my dogs have all died off. It's fun but it's not the same as listening to them hounds sounding off and then seeing that white speck, (snowshoe hares), come blasting through the under brush. I've got a new beagle puppy on the way though.

Not to start anything but in my mind it is too easy without the beagles. My friend and I went out without dogs using ruger 10/22 and got our limit of hares (8), in like maybe 3 hours, it felt like a slaughter more than a hunt. All shots were sitting shots, they wouldn't run they would just sit there and let us walk up on them. It really was not that fun at all, kind of like shooting soda cans. I'd rather be shooting them running in front of a beagle, but that just me, everyone has their own taste.

All you guys getting limits without dogs! Around here ya don't even see 1 without a dog. Even with dog lucky to see 4 or 5 a day!

Originally Posted By: CutleryotehunterI do but its because my dogs have all died off. It's fun but it's not the same as listening to them hounds sounding off and then seeing that white speck, (snowshoe hares), come blasting through the under brush. I've got a new beagle puppy on the way though.

Not to start anything but in my mind it is too easy without the beagles. My friend and I went out without dogs using ruger 10/22 and got our limit of hares (8), in like maybe 3 hours, it felt like a slaughter more than a hunt. All shots were sitting shots, they wouldn't run they would just sit there and let us walk up on them. It really was not that fun at all, kind of like shooting soda cans. I'd rather be shooting them running in front of a beagle, but that just me, everyone has their own taste.

Man, I need to come hunt where you are. It would be a lot easier if you could walk up on 'em and shoot them while they were sitting there. Went out today (no dogs) and got 11 of them with 3 friends in a couple of hours. If we see one sitting up under some brush, we push it out, and then shoot it. Definitley makes it a little harder, but today I was "on". I was able to get my 5 out of the 11.

o I love to hunts me a jack rabbit, hence the my name. I will track those suckers down until i nab them. I use an ar15 these days! love it all though it makes for a messy photo

Just nabbed 5 out 6 Wed night with a buddy. That makes 18 on the year in three trips. All without dogs. Season ends this weekend and I don't think I will be able to get back out for them. Gonna have to work on the yotes.

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660Originally Posted By: CutleryotehunterI do but its because my dogs have all died off. It's fun but it's not the same as listening to them hounds sounding off and then seeing that white speck, (snowshoe hares), come blasting through the under brush. I've got a new beagle puppy on the way though.

All you guys getting limits without dogs! Around here ya don't even see 1 without a dog. Even with dog lucky to see 4 or 5 a day!

Well there is a little more to the story that I left out. It was March and most of the snow was gone and the hares were still white. So they knew that they stood out like a sore thumb and were playing the "If I don't move they won't see me" game. Now when there is snow on the ground it isn't so easy. All in all I would still rather shoot them in front of a Beagle. I'm 28 and have killed some big bucks but I still get more worked up when I hear them beagles a coming, I don't know why but I do.

My buddy and I went out on Sat and just walked along and sniped a few in the head. You have to stalk them and it is pretty tough considering how many coyote tracks that we saw I would say we were pretty lucky to get the two that we got. I did take my pup Tug along with us, but he just wanted to chew on the rabbits while I was carrying them.

Reading posts like these sure makes me miss the pack of beagles I had before my kids were born. They all had good hunting dog names. Joe, Red, Squealy, Glue, Cutie, Tiny, Sweetie and Sue. To me a good rabbit hunt is all about hearing a good race.

While I really enjoy hunting rabbits with beagles where I've been hunting recently they would just be in the way. The rabbits are soooo thick that three of us got our limit or 30 rabbits (10 each) in 1 hour and 45 minutes! The rabbits were so thick you could have probably gotten a limit just throwing rocks! I was kidding my son about taking too long lining up a shot (he's very careful and safe though) and threatened to kill a rabbit with a rock. When he lost sight of the rabbit I did just that - threw a rock, missed, threw another rock and bingo - another one for the pot!

30 Rabbit Limit
rabbits.jpg

Untill my hunting pardner of 40years passed away and my back became so arthritic that I can no longer walk far on uneven ground, we hunted snowshoe hare with .22 handguns w/ hollowpoints. Great sport and darn good exercise.

Used to bow hunt rabbits in city limits.
most were shot in the head on the run.

One trick I use when solo hunting with bow or 22
in an area I know has rabbits is to walk into a
waist high brush pile and stop for about 3-5 minutes.
Don't start up walking but twist your foot to make
some noise and it usually spooks the rabbits that
thought the coast was clear.

Never hunted with dogs and do o.k.

Rabbits.jpg

Nothing against dogs, but they might have trouble keeping up with the jacks.

Originally Posted By: BIPNever hunted with dogs and do o.k.

Rabbits.jpg

Nothing against dogs, but they might have trouble keeping up with the jacks.
Nice!
thumbup.gif

I would have to retrain my dogs for rabbits.They love chasing them and I would never get a shot at the rabbit.
Or they would eat the thing before they brought it back.

When I was younger I killed a ton of rabbits without dogs. Then I got a couple of beagles and it made hunting so much easier. Only problem with beagles was they didn't retrieve and they were limited to bunnies. Today I have two French Brittanys. We hunt birds in the fields, bunnies in the brush and squirrels in the woods. While their not as good tracking as beagles they will air scent and retrieve. My little female will crawl into a brush piles and flush a bunny or retrieve a dead or wounded rabbit. I even take my female when I'm calling coyotes. She lays down beside me and I can tell when a coyotes coming, her ears are much better then mine. When the coyotes is getting real close I can feel her shaking. OK she not the bravest dog in the world, she is French after all. She can also track a wounded coyote.

i wish we had more hare in these parts to sneak up on,i hunt over these three alot and still don't get a limit evertime out---i like the dogs and dont even go out after cottontails with them anymnore-will fight brush all day and never get sight of one,with dogs every 1/2 they seem to put one up

Im a foot stomper...no dogs to hunt behind, so its just me, or sometimes my nephew or grand daughter...depending on the area, I use my .22 LR to snipe them in the woods, and the shotgun in the sage and brush...just depends on where we are hunting...my favorite is the shotgun and shooting them on the jump.

I've never hunted with dogs and I'm not sure I'd want to. I like walking slowly though the trees and spotting them when they think they are all invisible. Best part is seeing them BEFORE they run.
My cousin and I used to carry shot guns...now we walk through with suppressed .22lr pistols.
2920_512711241876_147500731_30533728_506453_n.jpg

Back