Degreasing Hides?

yacolt yote

I don't know if I had a brain storm or brain cramp but could you use Simple Green at full stength to soak greasy skins in like beaver to degrease them? I normally use ordorless mineral spirits but I was looking at some simple green and it says it is a degreaser and cleaner. It also smells better and easier to clean up. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks, Bruce

You can try it, yacolt.

I can't see why it wouldn't work. You may have to saok it longer or you may not have to soak it quite as long. I've never used it. I always buy the commercial degreaser from the Tanning Supply.

Just make sure you rinse it very well because using it full strength may leave a residue if you don't.

What'ya got going anyway? You doing some tanning?
If you are, I'd suggest you pickle the hide first. That way you aren't running any risks with the extended soaking.

Hey yacolt yote, Dawn dishwashing soap works wonders! might have to do it twice on greasy hides. Works for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the info. Yea I am pickling the hides first. It is a beaver hide I am tanning. I have already degreased this one but might try it on another hide in the future. Bruce

Hey Brennan! I live in Early, 15 miles south of Storm Lake. We are big hockey fans of the Musketeers in Sioux City which we are about 60 miles east of. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Back