Need Help on Choosing AR

DXT_Shooter

I have been looking at a DPMS Prairie Panther and yesterday I saw a Rock River Coyote - 20" Barrel and it is one sweet looking set up.

I am not sure what I want now...so many nice guns out there! from what i have been reading the RRA are reliable and accurate but a bit more expensive that the DPMS.

Any help would be appreciated...gonna do some coyote hunting and other varmints and some range shooting just for fun.

Thanks.

I would take a DPMS over a RRA any day of the week. Just buy either one of them, you can't go wrong either way. Also pick up the RRA and try the trigger out before you buy you may not like the 2 stage they come with!

Now see im the opposite... i would take a RRA any day of the week over a dpms... but on the same note.... i just ordered an arctic panther so I do like dpms as well. Like dmpowder stated. You cant go wrong with either. I have the RRA coyote carbine and love it. Lightweight and very accurate. I see a prairie panther in my near future as well. Just buy both of them haha

I would probably take a RRA over a DPMS as well. But realistically they're both probably at about the same level.

FYI, the RRA Predator pursuit is actually lighter than the Coyote - both with 20" barrels. I have been impressed with the fit and finish of the RRA. The lowers fit tight with their uppers and other brands. Their customer service has been very good as well. I like the RRA 2 Stage trigger. My predator pursuit will print 1/2" groups with 55 grain Vmaxes, surplus powder and once fired brass. Don't have any experience with DPMS so just sharing the RRA experience.

Don't think you can go wrong with either of them.

Thanks I guess I will have to get my hands on a few different makes to see what I like best.

This will be my first AR and I am looking forward to going coyote hunting

Get one from one of the sponsors on this forum.
smile.gif

Rock River here also, My kid has the 20" coyote and loves it, I have the 20" Predator Pursuit love mine also, spend a little more money you won't be sorry. Both guns shot 1/2" all day long with 55 grain Nosler BT or Hornady V-Maxes.

You cant go wrong with a Specialized Dynamics. They are some sweet shooting AR's. I've had a RR, DPMS, and a SD and the SD is MY favorite one. Scott is a Great Guy to do business with and he's also a Sponsor for PM. Check him out.

Weight should be an important factor, especially if you have to walk from stand to stand, some ARs are ridiculously heavy... Just doesn't make sense to me, go for one that's in the 6-7lb range and you'll be happy.... Some I've handled make me feel like I'm lugging around a 50 BMG....

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9Get one from one of the sponsors on this forum.
smile.gif

Yeah I think there is a guy on here that Specailizes in the Dynamics of the AR rifles...

If you are mechanically inclined, build your own, or part of it. You could buy the upper you want with the bolt/carrier. That way you don't need the head-space or barrel tools. Then assemble the lower with the trigger and stock of your choice. You would only need a castle nut wrench if you use a collapsible stock. The regular stock just needs a crescent and a screwdriver for install.
It's not hard, and can be done with simple tools, plus you can absorb the cost over a couple of paychecks.
Although, any custom shop can give you an excellent setup too.

I build my own to have a better rifle than the marked up retail rigs. Here is my latest build.

DSCN1069.jpg

Check over at AR15.com/build it yourself.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

Or the for sale ads.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=21

Legal-Transfers is the cheapest RRA dealer around. Pete is a great guy, and will do you right.

If you are looking seriously for an AR, that is the websie to browse. It's #2 on the web for firearms. This is where you will find those in the know, and the best deals due to the subject matter.

Originally Posted By: Valkyrie
I build my own to have a better rifle than the marked up retail rigs. Here is my latest build.

You obviously don't know the little mark up in complete guns or the 11% that has to go to the government.

You probably didn't mean to knock the sponsors here, but I took offense to it.

Can't put a price on lifetime warranty's either.

No not at all. I was only trying to be helpful. I didn't mean to knock anyone. It came out wrong.

I've looked at your stuff, and it is sweet. I only meant if he didn't have the funds all at once, he could stretch it out and build some of his own.

I come from match shooting background, so the cost of equipment is astronomical if you want to be competitive. I spend the money where I have to, and save where I can.

I got my first taste of coyote hunting last night by chance, and it is a bigger rush that the best three gun stage!!

Please forgive me, I didn't mean anything negative toward anyone here.
blushing.gif

I'm just looking for another place to hang out with people of similar interests.

Edit:
What I meant about the retail prices was in reference to places like big retail hunting stores where they would have a $800 AR listed for $1299. Not any of the site sponsors.

My best friend is an FFL, I've seen his cost.

Last edited:
Nice looking rig. Just curious, what is the parts makeup of this one, and what did it cost to build?
Originally Posted By: ValkyrieIf you are mechanically inclined, build your
own, or part of it. You could buy the upper you want with the bolt/carrier. That way you don't need the head-space or barrel tools. Then assemble the lower with the trigger and stock of your choice. You would only need a castle nut wrench if you use a collapsible stock. The regular stock just needs a crescent and a screwdriver for install.
It's not hard, and can be done with simple tools, plus you can absorb the cost over a couple of paychecks.
Although, any custom shop can give you an excellent setup too.

DSCN1069.jpg

Check over at AR15.com/build it yourself.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=4

Or the for sale ads.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=21

Legal-Transfers is the cheapest RRA dealer around. Pete is a great guy, and will do you right.

If you are looking seriously for an AR, that is the websie to browse. It's #2 on the web for firearms. This is where you will find those in the know, and the best deals due to the subject matter.

Back