AR Assembly - lots of pics

mattm

There have been and are lots of questions about "building" or assembling an AR or its components. Last night I put together my dad's Christmas present and took a bunch of photos to post in a kind of "chronicle of a build".

My background is 17 yrs LEO and an M16/AR15 armorer since 98. I have been to the Colt armorer school 4 times and have been a carbine user instructor since 97 as well. I have maintained and repaired tons of rifles and "built" about 8 or 10 from parts over the years.

This is a complete rifle kit from Del-Tons black Friday sale. I have used their stuff in past and like it. Have had no problems and their prices are good. I'm using a lower from JD machine in San Diego I picked up at a gun show. The .204 bbl is a DPMS heavy fluted.

Parts separtated into assembly groups and some of the tools used.
ar_build_001.JPG

ar_build_003.JPG

In assembling the lower I always start w front take down pin. It is a huge pain when first learning. Now I do it by inserting spring and detent then compressing with pin and sliding it in. Big big difference from the first dozen times or so.

Next I do the bolt and mag catch. Do the mag catch first because the bolt catch can get in the way of tightening the mag catch. I use a punch to push out the mag catch and spin it even w/ the bolt catch in. Also use several layers of tape to protect lower when tapping in bolt catch roll pin
ar_build_005.JPG

Next is selector lever (safety), detent spring and grip.
ar_build_007.JPG

Trigger then hammer. Tail of trigger goes under fire selector and gets pinned in. Then hammer. Take your time, this can be fustrating to new inexperienced gun wrestlers. There is an obvious place in the trigger tail for the disconnector spring, the fatter or larger coils go down into the bottom of the groove in trigger tail. It takes some effort to line up the disconnector and trigger pin holes.
ar_build_006.JPG

Makes sure the "legs" of the hammer spring lay on the trigger pin. This holds the trigger pin in and keeps it from creeping. The hammer has a pin inside of it that holds its pin. The pins are interchangeable.
ar_build_009.JPG

Trigger guard - support the lower roll pin "ear" with a block and tap in roll pin. Self explanatory but go easy. Notice tiny little hammer to the left.
ar_build_008.JPG

Buffer tube and buffer retaining pin with spring. Only goes one way. Can use armorer tool or wrench to tighten tube.
ar_build_010.JPG

Receiver extension, rear take down pin, spring and detent then butt stock and screw.
ar_build_011.JPG

My 13 year old helping with grandpa's Christmas present and one completed lower ready to go.
ar_build_012.JPG

Last edited:
Upper receiver was disassembled and new parts are ready to on. Upper in block in vice.
ar_build_013.JPG

.204 bbl set in upper. I use anti seize grease on threads. I crank the bbl nut down by hand and make sure bbl is set all the way back. I tighten and loosen it a couple times till I'm comfortable it is set, then crank with wrench to the next gas tube hole. I do not use a torque wrench. There is no need to gorilla the thing on.
ar_build_014.JPG

Gas block and tube. I simply eyeball it to get it all lined up. This one was easy due to the flutes. I use lock tite on the set screws.
ar_build_015.JPG

ar_build_016.JPG

Lock tite and anti seize
ar_build_017.JPG

Thread on free float tube, install spring and buffer, CH and BC assembly and pin together.
ar_build_018.JPG

ar_build_019.JPG

It really is that simple. This obviously is not all inclusive and there are way better tutorials out there but this shows that it should not intimidate anyone from putting together their own stick. Any and all feedback or comments or tips are very welcome.
Thanks for looking and Merry Christmas to all! (please forgive typos, missing words and other grammatical errors
blink.gif
)

Last edited:
I have been very interested and curious about the DPMS .204 barrel you used. Please let me know how it performs. scottkr@aol.com

Cool Post, Like the pictures, makes me want to try a build someday.
"GORILLA IT"...lol..AKA-"FARM TIGHTEN" or "SPOT TORQUE" just other terms I have heard, pull on the wrench untill you start to "see" spots.

So I have heard a lot of discussion about head spacing on the AR build. Do you just use a new bolt with a new barrel or anything fancy?

Thank you for this... i have a lower parts kit and trigger on the way for my stripped lower and am going to try to do this all myself.

Originally Posted By: dogtiredSo I have heard a lot of discussion about head spacing on the AR build. Do you just use a new bolt with a new barrel or anything fancy?
The headspace on an AR bbl is set by the bbl extension. There is nothing you can do when assembling an upper to "set" or change headspace. You can check to see if it is within tolerance w some gauges but thats it. I have never had any issues.

Originally Posted By: jbrodie7Thank you for this... i have a lower parts kit and trigger on the way for my stripped lower and am going to try to do this all myself.
Get some good diagrams,books or manuals. There are also some good vids on the web. A lower is just nuts and bolts - so to speak. You're putting a puzzle together. It was once eloquently stated on this site that if you can eat paste or use crayons you can assemble an AR. I look at it that if I can do it anyone can do it. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: scottkrI have been very interested and curious about the DPMS .204 barrel you used. Please let me know how it performs. scottkr@aol.com

when this gets delivered to Dad and shot with whatever optic he puts on, I'll post up some results. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good things. Somewhere a prarie dog is sleeping restlessly..... mmmmuuuuaaaahhhhaaaaahhhhaaaaaaaaaaa!
drevil.jpg

Last edited:
Short and concise. I've put together a lower but not an upper. I like the
tips on not over torquing , and the gas block alignment. thanks. ( And
thanks for posting your credentials, leaves little doubt about your how
to knowledge.

Last edited:
I can see the pics. My computer does the same thing sometimes usually have to log off and log back in for them to show up. Thanks for the post I will be putting my upper together as soon as my FFT shows up from bushmaster. Good info

Originally Posted By: mattm
Get some good diagrams,books or manuals. There are also some good vids on the web. A lower is just nuts and bolts - so to speak. You're putting a puzzle together. It was once eloquently stated on this site that if you can eat paste or use crayons you can assemble an AR. I look at it that if I can do it anyone can do it. Good luck.

haha well there is my motivation.... i better be able to do it otherwise i probably shouldnt bother owning an ar15 haha

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHey Mods, how about starting a place just for the How To's?

I'll second that. Lots of times I search all over to find tips on putting something together, fixing, taking apart. Would be nice to have a forum here too.

Great post with good info.

Back