Break in period for shotgun?

CornDogg723

Well i bought a Winchester SX3 about 2 months ago and have yet to

shoot it i know none of my friends ever want to go shooting.

Well my question is, is there a break in period on it because

I ordered some dead coyote 3 1/2 shells and i plan on shooting

them out of my Carlsons choke tube on Friday they will be the

first rounds Shot threw her will it be fine? Or should i

break it in with target shells first. I know it sounds dumb but

i don't want to mess up my 1k shotgun.

Congratulations on asking first ... some people screw up and THEN ask questions.
laugh.gif

Actually, your SX3 will benefit MORE from shooting "brisk" loads. Today's autoloading shotguns are not built like the older versions. They are tighter, and more complex. Parts have to "wear in" before they actually start operating smoothly and reliably, and some folks find that their new shotgun won't cycle properly with those "light" loads that they are shooting.

Just make sure the gun is clean, and lubed properly according to the owner's manual ... don't try to soak it with lube. It'll be fine.

My SBEII took a few dozen 3 1/2 rounds before it would cycle properly, manual says 500 rounds. I don't have the money to feed it that much nor the time and shoulder to put up with that. I haven't had a failure since, but plan on running some more through during some pattern testing in a couple weeks.
Congrats on the gun too, she's a fine one.

Originally Posted By: CornDogg723So you are saying its ok to start with the big boys?

Good to hear if so I want to get it out busting clays

and other birds later on.

It would be ok,but you might want a handfull of cheaper ammo at first. Like a good high brass 2.75 /3" load. It will help you get to know the gun and where it hit's before ,useing the expensive DC loads.

Originally Posted By: CornDogg723So you are saying its ok to start with the big boys?

Good to hear if so I want to get it out busting clays

and other birds later on.

Yep ... your gun will function better, quicker, if you start with the heavy stuff.
thumbup1.gif

You mention "busting clays" later on. If memory serves me, that gun should function fine with standard target loads, but not so well with the "light" loadings like 7/8oz or 1oz.

HAVE FUN !!
thumbup.gif

My SX3 will 1oz and up without a hiccup,the only round it didn't cycle perfectly was Winchester universals. That round gives alot of autos fits,I had 1 FTE out of 200,mine is also the 3.5"er. I just started it on 1 1/8 loads, no trouble. It is the lightest recoiling shotgun I have shot,my 11 y/o girl shoots it comfortably(light loads of course)and she is a toothpick. You will love it.

The best way to break it in is to shoot the heck outta it. Like Hildago said, clean it completely, relube, then shoot until it pukes. If it hasn't puked by about 200 rounds, clean, relube, and go to it again. Good luck with it, generally they are decent guns.

Originally Posted By: NastyDaddy101You need better friends!!! Well most them are busy with their lives right now and its deer season

so on the weekends mostly were deer huntin

Well i went out and shot it today talk about depressing

at 50 yards with my dead coyote choke tube and with heavy shot

dead coyote and i maybe had like 4 or 5 even hit the paper

wow it was horrible i have the same setup with my mossberg

835 and it patterned way better. Do you think my full choke

might pattern better? I still cant believe it was that bad

the only upside was it kicked way less then i thought and

no where near as bad as my mossberg.

^

Dang man... sorry to hear that... It blows when you spend $ on something and it doesnt meet your expectations.

Hopefully that full choke does better

Only way to know if the factory flush mount full will do better is to shoot patterns. But I'll give you credit for doing that, it does matter as you just found out. Many guys just skip this all important step and them wonder why they don't kill stuff when they shoot at it.

Yeah its the same thing as some people dont shoot there

guns if they bore sight them because they think that sights it

in for them. O well i hope the full works better.

Back