Looking for tips to call in a cougar

rynokron

The four legged kind! A friend of mines parents have seen one in thier yard. I own some property near by and have permission to hunt the surrounding property. I have called one in by accident twice while calling for yotes. Once with a FoxPro, and once with a Primos deer call. Any big kitty specific tips for me? They are in season until the 31st and I only have 1 chance to get out between now and then. I know it's a long shot, but I'm gonna give it a go!

Repeat whatever you were doing when you called the 2 accidentals.
smile.gif

Use the Foxpro, not a hand call. Have a good solid tree or rock at your back. You don't want the first hint of a cougar in the area being the sound of its fangs entering the back of your skull.

Cats can come to a call but they usually are not in any big hurry. They are very visual, so if you are calling don't move much as they will hang out and watch an area unless they are very young and very hungry (aka dumb). If Washington allows it get a visual aid like a fawn decoy and use bleets

They love to hang out on ridges or saddles overlooking a game trail especially if there is some good cover to the side of it. In the dryer areas it is a bit easier as they will also hang near the watering hole.

If you know one is in an area find a ridge or saddle and hang out. They will more than likely show up once a week making the rounds. It's really a waiting game with them. Unlike yotes, where you may stay on a stand for 15 mins, you can easily hang out all day waiting on a cat, although most move in the moonlight. If your calling and they do hear it and care, it may take them an hour to creep up to the area. If you are calling and they are in the area but don't show in an hour or so they probably don't have the interest in your call or already spotted you.

I'm with you, I've got a couple weeks on this tag and havent put in any time this year. I've got a couple males that I think I've got their routine about figured out, and its about time now for to attempt an ambush.

Good luck!!

I never thought about it or tried but it would bring most any predator in if it was tied to the steak and they could see it I would think.

In Oregon that would be illegal. (No baiting cougars)

Originally Posted By: OmnivoreI never thought about it or tried but it would bring most any predator in if it was tied to the steak and they could see it I would think.

In Oregon that would be illegal. (No baiting cougars)

I will re read the WA regs, but I'm pretty sure we can bait them just can't use dogs.

Back