Coyotes answer but won't come in

GNERGY

I went out saturday calling in a couple different places, started out with cottontail distress, kind of quiet at first and then getting a little louder. After calling on and off for about 15 min. I would wait a while then play the coyote greeting howl. I got one coyote to howl back in one stand and 2 to howl back at another, they were about 125 yds away.
One place was down the road from a farm so I even tried the chicken distress but with no luck.
I was hid good in the bushes with my speaker out 100 ft. so I know I wasn't seen.
Maybe this is just the paying my dues part till i finally connect with mr yote.
Any suggestions.
Thanks
Tarey

It's tough to say. If you are 100% convinced you were not seen or smelled, it may be you are calling to educated dogs. You also may have been right on a territorial border and heard from a non alpha male.

Did you try any challenge barks or pup in distress? Sometimes they just don't feel comfortable or don't need to eat, so you need to push at different buttons. If you play distress calls and get barks from a distance, there is a pretty good chance no matter how many different types of distress calls you play they won't be coming in. Don't be afraid to mix up the types of calls and you may be suprised.

Originally Posted By: The Duke But my partners cell phone kept going off really frustrating!!!

There is just no *call* for that kinda crap.
w00t.gif
I guarantee it would only happen once if he was hunting with me.

Kids and their phones these days. geeeeze
lol.gif

It happens. Don't give up. The dogs are smart and they may not just come chargeing in. Sometimes they hang up and there is nothing you can do about it.

Sometimes they just ain't interested. Also, if your "coyote greeting howl" is a pack howl, they may have been intimidated. Lots of transient singles at this time of year wandering around trying to find a place to call home. If they think a pack is already in residence, they may simply ease on down the road in order to avoid getting their keester kicked. I only use lone howls or, occasionally, a pair howl. I have quit using pack howls altogether.

I would also try the coyote pup in distress and next time you go there set up in a different location. I had the same thing happen and when I went on the other side of the field (different wind that day) they came in with the pup distress.

Gnergy,
As you well know, the further we get away from town the better, it does sound like an educated dog just didn't wanna come in.

keep trying, ill be out quite a bit in the next few weeks, i got a new video camera coming.

Good luck to you.

I only use a single dog greetings and have always set up in different locations every time. I always start out with the rabbit distress first.

I am going coyote hunting to the place where I mule deer hunted this past nov. There were lots of coyotes in that area. You could hear them howling and traveling in the morning. One night while I was sleeping in my suburban one woke me up at 1:30 in the morning howling right outside the truck. The rancher there said to shoot any coyote I saw while I was deer hunting, that they had killed some of his calves.
Maybe I will finally get mr yote.
Tarey

If they aren't coming to a greeting howl, get them mad. A lot depends on how they responded to your howl. Was it a greeting howl back, or did they challenge you? Was it a young howl, or old howl? Male and Females typically howl differently, could you tell what it was? I ask these questions because depending on the howl back, this would determine my next comment.

More than likely you heard a challange or aggressive howl back. If that was the case, I would get agressive with them. If you have it on your caller, I would use some type of younger coyote, probably female, with some type of agressive tone. After awhile if that didn't bring the coyote in, I would probably try some type of challenge sound or potentially coyote fight type sound. If all fails, I would try the KiYis as well. This is not all at one time but over a long period of time.

If the reponse back was male and deep like an alpha coyote, I would potentially move up to a much older dominate challenge howl. I don't start with this but it all depends on what type of coyote reponse I get. Barks, growls, and all of this type of vocalization all have their place. A greeting howl is a great place to start, but many times this is just the beginning. You did your part by getting them to respond, and now it is up to figuring out what they are saying and what to say back to trigger them.

Once you played the howl and he answered there was no need to play it anymore. If he was withing 125 yards I would have switched so some lip squeaks or some sort of high pitched rodent sound. Continuing to switch between howls and distress when he was that close only confirmed his suspicions, that something wasn't right.

Go easy on multiple sounds your next trip into that area.

Originally Posted By: Jackindistress
Go easy on multiple sounds your next trip into that area.

Agreed. The only time I give multiple yote vocalizations is pup in distress and challenge barks/howls IF they are talking trash back at me.

Back