Breaking the membrane while fleshing.........

d2admin

Administrator
In the process of trying to get a rattlesnake tanned and during the fleshing, run into one of the toughest membranes I've seen on these devils. Have it all fleshed out, but still can't seem to get underneath the clear film on the flesh side.

Anyone know of a better way to break the membrane without so much fleshing?

Jay, sounds like the snake hide is fairly fresh.
If you salt it down, dry it out, and then rehydrate it again, you'll loosen that membrane up a little bit.
They make a scraping tool for breaking up tough tissue. It has teeth on it.
I've seen people score the tissue with a cross hatch pattern using a scalpel, or razor knife to help also.

By the way...Welcome to Predator Masters!

This is probably a silly idea but have you ever thought of using compressed air to get the membrane off??? use like a needle that you use to inflate as basketball and insert it under the membrane and seal it back up with lots of tape and turn on the air

just a thought i have heard it works well on fox skins

That would work if there were absolutely no other rips or tears in the layer of tissue your trying to remove. Chances of that...null to none.
You'd only lift the membrane to the nearest tear or the closest and thinnest spot which would be the newest and now the closest tear. Ya know what I'm saying?
I have seen this tissue powersprayed with a power washer and a flat stream of water. Never done it.

Back