.223 Rem. load for fox

Randy 3

Hi,
I'm looking for a fur friendly load for the .223 Rem..I am currently shooting
a Rem.700 SPS Varmit. I am loading 21.5 grs. of IMR4198, Nosler 50 gr ballastic tip and a CCI 400 small rifle primer to a col of 2.304.This is an extremly accurate load for my rifle,however it is not fur friendly on fox or bobcat.Most shots in my area are under 175 yards. I am looking for a load that will not exit or will be a smaii hole on exit. Current exit holes are golf ball size or larger.
How low of a powder charge can I use and still be safe. The nosler manual list 20.0 as a starting load. Can I go lower and still be safe.Also would a smaller bullet do less damage but still kill on the spot and kill the occasional coyote.
Thanks for the info in advance.

I'd try one of the old loads with blue or red dot, and a 40 grain Vmax. Someone should be along here shortly and elaborate.

If you don't mind tracking a little, a fmj bullet might also be considered. I know folks that swear by them for keeping a pelt in nice shape. I've read that the hydrostatic shock from a fmj is quite deadly, and if placed well, will kill quickly. Never tried it myself though, I've always liked a light frangible bullet at high velocity to hopefully not exit.

Originally Posted By: Randy 3Hi,
I'm looking for a fur friendly load for the .223 Rem..I am currently shooting
a Rem.700 SPS Varmit. I am loading 21.5 grs. of IMR4198, Nosler 50 gr ballastic tip and a CCI 400 small rifle primer to a col of 2.304.This is an extremly accurate load for my rifle,however it is not fur friendly on fox or bobcat.Most shots in my area are under 175 yards. I am looking for a load that will not exit or will be a smaii hole on exit. Current exit holes are golf ball size or larger.
How low of a powder charge can I use and still be safe. The nosler manual list 20.0 as a starting load. Can I go lower and still be safe.Also would a smaller bullet do less damage but still kill on the spot and kill the occasional coyote.
Thanks for the info in advance. I have the same rifle as you. I load a Nosler 50bt. with 25.5grs. of Benchmark and a CCI 400 primer. Seated at 2.330" and is very accurate. Only thing I have shot with it is paper, clay birds and golf balls. I can't wait till I shoot coyote or ground squirrels with it.

I used some factory stuff a few years back, 55 gr. soft points. I ruined two bobcats with that load. I think most soft points will be too much of a good thing if you are wanting to save pelts.

I know it's not the idea load but I shot three fox this year so far with 55 grain Vmax's. One that was hit in the shoulder had a gaping hole in it. but the other two were shot just behind the shoulder in the ribs and only had a nickel size exit hole with and an entry hole that couldn't be found. I know it's not the idea load but I think alot has to do with where you hit them.

Originally Posted By: yotekilla313I know it's not the idea load but I shot three fox this year so far with 55 grain Vmax's. One that was hit in the shoulder had a gaping hole in it. but the other two were shot just behind the shoulder in the ribs and only had a nickel size exit hole with and an entry hole that couldn't be found. I know it's not the idea load but ]I think alot has to do with where you hit them.

I think your right, I have shot many coyotes with the 223 55 V-Max, some not so good hits were a mess. Others were good, in and out or in and not out.

KR

Try Remington's 55gr HP/PL at around 3000fps. I shot a couple of greys last year w/ this load and both were bang flops w/ exits less than 1/4". Both were shot at approx 40-50yds. Same performance on a coyote at approx 125yds.

Originally Posted By: ackleyman12.0g of Blue Dot with a Sierra 40g HP will be on the velocity of 3000 fps...will do the job well.

+1 This load works really great for me.

Terry

I have heard the same with FMJ also. I would just make sure your state allows you to take game with them. If you wanna try some reduced loads have a look here Trail Boss . Less chance of a double charge. I tried some unique powder in my AR once and I could actually watch some 53gr HP's tumble through the scope! Also just remember you will have to zero your scope for them or learn where they hit. In my mil-dot set on 4x they would hit about 2.5 mils low at 100yrds.

Also agree stay away from the SP's. I hit a coyote with a 100gr SP and I swear you could have placed a softball in the exit hole! Now this was with a .243 but still I save the SP for the smaller critters!

Thanks for all the info. I called one of the big bullet manufactures and talk to their tech support staff. They suggested a 35 gr. lead free ballistic tip at 3500 to 3800 fps.. Said the bullet would explode inside of a fox or coyote and would not exit.The tech also said if I tried a reduced load that it would pentrate deeper than a maximum loaded ballistic tip. Thought I would try a 35 gr. Nosler ballistic tip as close to maximum load as I can get it to shoot good out of my rifle. What is your opinons on this. If this does not work good I will try some of your suggestions.Thanks once again for your suggestions.

I had animals run like a scaled cat after being shot with FMJ's, some you find and some you don't while some are bang flops.

FMJ's ruined more than one weekend's hunt back in the late 70's and early 80's when pelts were worth big bucks.

The 35gr lead free BT should work very well. I was going to
suggest the Barnes 36g Varmint Grenade. Some say they are not
accurate, but my best group was the 36gr VG.

Either should work well if you DO NOT attempt shoulder shots.
They more than likely will make a hellish entry hole, and
the animal could get away, only to die a slow death elsewhere.

Last edited:
Back