Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#175395 - 04/06/02 01:54 PM Bleaching Skulls
Amy Partlow Offline

Loc: Center, Tx
River Runner,
I have gotten into Cow Skulls. Painting and saleing them. The first few I got were fairly clean enough, and just washed and sprayed them down. I have 2 tho, that are just filthy and almost black. My boyfreinds father(James Lindley) is actually a Moderator on here. So that is how I come to this site. He printed me out your postings for the Peroxide 40. I have already gotten it. My freind who ordered for me, said she had never heard of the Basic White. You said I could just bathe it in the 40. I've started to do that, but I do have one problem. The bucket I am using is not big enough for one with the horns. If I cant get it in there, how do I clean it? It was fairly clean when I got it. But I noticed after spraying it down to get dirt out of it that it had a few maggots coming out of it. If I cant get in a pan to boil it, what do I do about those? Do I just have to wait, and let them finising, umm eating? I have 5 done already, but I am anxious to get to the one with horns, its HUGE and will great painted. If needed explain some to James, he has helped me alot. Him and his son got the slippings from the horns, and I got the skull. Even trade I believe. They will use them for calls, and knife handles. I made this to long, I will think some, and ask more later.... Thanks

TeXaS_TrOuBLe55

#175396 - 04/06/02 02:00 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
BadMedicine Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Anchorage, AK, USA
Welcome to predator masters:D

I know nothing of bleaching skulls, except that, if at all possible DO NOT boil the 2 week old rotton meat off of a grizzly bear skull in your kitchen. The smell just doesn't wanna leave....EVER!!

#175397 - 04/06/02 02:17 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
Amy Partlow Offline

Thanks BadMecine, but I dont plan on doing any boiling, specially not with a huge cow skull. I am not going out and getting any fresh skulls. The ones I have, have been sitting for a long time, and have been donated to me. Just the one with the horns is a lil fresher, is all. Thanks for the advise tho....
TeXaS_TrOuBLe55

#175398 - 04/06/02 02:49 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
River Runner Offline
PM is my life

Loc: Bloomington, WI
Amy, welcome to the site.

Boiling that skull you spoke of with maggots in it would be the quickest, by far.
I was thinking, if you knew anyone in your area that trapped, maybe they'd have a larger metal container they boil their traps in and you could borrow it.

You could also set the skull outside somewhere, and let the flys and maggots run their course, if your not in a hurry.
Use a hose to flush out the brain cavity real good first, to flush out anything loose.

The Basic White is used to make a paste as you read in the other post, you won't need a big container to soak it in. Just brush on the paste.

Basic White should be available at most beauty salons, or like a Walmart health and beauty aids department.

#175399 - 04/06/02 09:55 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
Amy Partlow Offline

Thanks River Runner

My boyfreind said he might know of a Large Pot that I could use, so we will see about the boiling. I noticed that they mainly came off the horns, from where the slippings had been. The cavity was pretty well cleaned, nothing in it that I could see. When I soaked it, even tho it didnt fit in the bucket well, I manuerved it around, first up right, then on one side with a horn in, then flipped it. I am going to do some more tomorrow, had to head to work and quite for the day.
My freind who got me the 40, said she will look into the Basic White, I am going to ask a few other salons also, just in case.
I'll let you know how it turns out....

TeXaS_TrOuBLe55

#175400 - 04/07/02 12:58 AM Re: Bleaching Skulls
Dusty-n-Alaska Offline

Loc: North Pole Alaska
The black and the maggots are related. Maggots feed by puking up the equivilant of stomach acid, then slurping up the goo that results--ie, they digest their food (and, in this case, part of your skull) THEN eat it. Pretty cool trick, hu? The bad news is that some of the bone dissolves and is left behind as a precipitate (the black stuff is mainly elemental iron, if you're curious), which I have found to be nearly impossible to remove--but I don't use peroxide 'cause I'm working with museum critters, not display critters. Unless you have a method of getting the skulls back to white (Krylon maybe, if you are painting them anyway) I suggest losing the maggots. If you don't care about the color, let 'em do what they do--they don't hurt anything that you are likely to notice. You WILL want to find something to soak the skull in to clean it up a bit after the maggots have had their fun--I cleaned most of a bowhead whale with maggots about 4 years ago, and it STILL smells like maggot. Even a few winters at -40 don't kill that smell--I imagine a soak in lemon-flavored ammonia would.

How about a picture of one of those painted skulls?

#175401 - 04/07/02 02:26 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
River Runner Offline
PM is my life

Dusty, I've always sprayed my skulls with a sealer at the end. Never had any odors.
The peroxide eliminates most of that anyway.

#175402 - 04/08/02 09:07 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
Amy Partlow Offline

Im workin on some pics. I have 5 done aleady. 2 done in Texas Flags, with the star in the middle of the forehead, and 2 just weird designs. The 5th I am workin on now, its got an eagle on the forehead, and a mountian scene descending below. Its coming out pretty well. The last(one with horns), when clean and ready to paint, will be done in Trible Designs, I think it is gonna be awesome! I will let you know how it turns out.
TeXaS_TrOuBLe55

#175403 - 04/08/02 10:27 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
River Runner Offline
PM is my life

hey...you do know that you can't advertise on here with out paying for a banner or otherwise asking for permission, right?

Ok then

I'm just givin ya a hard time
Seriously though, the way your describing these things, post some pics. I think I want to buy one. You got me all thinking over here when you mentioned tribal designs

#175404 - 04/08/02 10:44 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
James Lindley Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Shelbyville, Texas
Hehe River Runner, you and I can though Just kidding... Welcome to predator masters Amy. Glad you made it. This girl is gonna go hunting yote with me one of these days. Then she can have her a coyote skull to do .......James L. BTW that is one hell of a skull that they found. It had to have been a bull as it is about the size of a buffalo skull. Only thing is I don't remember the animal that it came from unless it was.... Never mind while typing this it just popped in my head which one it was. Big old Bramha Bull. About 2500 lbs worth :eek: ...... J.L.

#175405 - 04/08/02 11:03 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
River Runner Offline
PM is my life

I hear ya, I still want one of ya's to post some pics though.
I just may have her do me one

#175406 - 04/09/02 05:09 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
Amy Partlow Offline

James has a pic of one at his house actually, I will have to get the camera and take some of the other ones. How do I go about putting one on here. My webpage is out, so cant use it.... One of these days, yeah, I'll go hunting with him. I rather do the sittin thing than trudgin the woods for coons and such like Jamie has me doin. Its all fun though, and I know he likes having a girlfreind that is into all that.
TooDLeZ, got some painting to do...
TeXaS_TrOuBLe55

#175407 - 04/09/02 07:50 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
River Runner Offline
PM is my life

You'll need to upload them to the web somewhere.
http://www.hunting-pictures.com
or
Image station.

Then just put the web address of the picture into your post

#175408 - 04/10/02 12:27 AM Re: Bleaching Skulls
Amy Partlow Offline

Thanks RiverRunner...
I may have those pics for you 2morrow nite. Will even take a pic of the "BIG ONE"!!!!
James, I was trying to get Jamie to read some of this, but he said he sees enough of it at home.LoL.. Oh Well!!!!

TeXaS_TrOuBLe55

#175409 - 04/10/02 11:41 PM Re: Bleaching Skulls
Amy Partlow Offline

Well, looks like no Pics till this weekend. Gotta get some film........

TeXaS_TrOuBLe55

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  AWS 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.