Dyeing traps or would paint be ok?......

d2admin

Administrator
I have some new traps and was wondering if I should order some dye for these or would it be ok to paint them flat-black from a spray can? I know if I spray them, I'll have to clean the dog and make sure everything links up right. Anyone have any suggestions on this?
'preciate it :)

Lonnie, I gave it a try today and it seems to work good long as you don't put too many coats of paint on it. I have big can of stripper too, so if it becomes a problem, I can always clean it back to the original condition. I used flat-black exterior in a sray can and degreased everything before painting. I then cleaned all the connections so the trap will fire good. Looks like it should be ok. I'll keep you posted as to how it works.

Speed Dip by Andy Stowe is the best (IMHO) trap dip. I wouldn't recommend it for connibears though, mmm sore fingers.

------------------
"When you get em in the sights drop the hammer"

"a cold barrel is an unhappy barrel"

I don't know why paint might not work, but it seems to me if it was good everybody would already be doing it. I never really ever heard of anyone doing it so there must be a reason. I have dyed my traps and it is pretty easy and quick, and lasts for quite a while.

Why would you paint? Rust is good, very good.......bare metal has little/no smell and that's what you want for coyotes. Smell is their keen point as vision is to bobcats......

On the other hand, I guess you would have some pretty traps..pretty but empty!

Speed dip them if you must but don't paint them if you want to catch coyotes!

I agree with wc. that is why i asked what is the paint for. where i am from i have to wax, but would not consider painting.
Randy

Rust is good to indicate your traps are ready to dye. Too much rust and several things happen. Extensive rust and pitting degrades the metal. Weakens springs. Interferes with smooth operation. Slows trap action down. And most importantly, coyotes can easily smell a rusty trap. Smell your hands after handling a rusty trap. This odor needs to be neutralized.

I don't know about paint for coyote traps but it works good on conibears.

Personally I was taught to NEVER paint them, because of the odor. I like the speed dip, if you can't afford that, a light coat of rust is what they used in the old days.

I was taught never to paint any part of a trap. The best cure I used was Mother Nature and alittle boiling from time to time.

One thing that does have me curious though, Last couple of years I have been using alot of Structural oilffield pipe building pens and fences, and I have been using a solution on this old Rusty pipe that you can buy at paint stores that you paint on the rust and it turns it black and seals it. This soln. is supposed to make paint jobs last longer and so far on pipe that I used the soln on the paint is holding very good almost 4 years on some of it and no rust coming through yet, and on some pipe that didn`t use it on I have already repainted once and it is just 2 years old. This stuff once painted on and let set for a few days seems to have no residual oder to it and the metal is cold black with a white residue that you can brush off very easily. The thing I was wondering is if a boil made up with this stuff or just dipping traps in this soln. would work. Havent tried it yet but I might have to just to see what the results would be.

Remember the traps must have rust on them for this to work.

The Solution is called Jasco Prep and Prime STOPS RUST and I bought it at Sherwin Williams paint store. The cost is about 3-4 dollars per Gallon.

Anyone see the article written by Johnny Thorpe on snow trapping coyotes? He painted his traps white.

Personally I can't see the difference between paint and speed dip. They would both need to be aired out.

I'd stick with dye and wax for coyotes.

My opinion, the very best trap dye I have ever used is Walnut hulls. Your traps will come out coal black and won't rust for a couple of years. Paint has an odor for a time, can keep other odors, ie skunk scent, chips away eventually, and if not done properly will gum up your coil springs. Walnut hulls are the absolute best way to go, IMO. Fred

Speed dip works great for me. You can buy it in white as well as other colours. I just have the brown stuff. It's mixed with gasoline so you have to allow for 2 or 3 weeks to air them out. I always boil mine in lye, then speed dip them.... this time of year and then put them in a can in the shed till fall.

Back