side charging upper

FINNISHem

Stopped at a local gunshop to pick up a stripped lower and the conversation got around to uppers. Gunsmith suggested sidechargers are not that great. His reasons were lack of accuracy, unreliable and so on. I mentioned a couple of different brands and he shot them down. " ASA sidechargers have had a lot of trouble" and "LAR sidechargers have a reciprocating bolt that seems dangerous" also said sidechargers aren't rigid enough. I would like some opinions from you guys rather than someone more concerned with selling HIS custom ar's.
FINNISHem

I'm very interested in the ASA side charger. It seems to be the most safe version. I was looking at the Alexander Arms style, but that bolt handle kicking back all the time freaks me out. I'd rather have a left side charger to keep my trigger hand where it belongs.

I have no first hand experience with any of them, but it sounds like he's just trying to sell you a gun. I've never read anything about them being less accurate or unreliable and I've been reading as much about them as I can find because of my own interest.

If you get an ASA one, let me know how you like it. The ONLY thing I have heard negative about those, is that the side charger has a tendency to snag on the bolt release button, but they have a modified button to use instead.

I had an upper with a reciprocating style side charger. I honestly didn't use it that much. Seemed like my right hand was always on the trigger and I used the left for an initial charge. When changing mags, I just hit the button. It also tended to loosen quite a bit. Can't Loc-Tite it because it needs removed to take it apart for cleaning, so I just kept tightening it before I would take it out. The upper was extremely accurate, so I don't think that was effected. Mine had a little mass to it, so it should increase lock time if anything. I don't think I would recommend the reciprocating one. Spendy and not used that much with no real benefit, especially if you have a tactical latch also installed. The only time it might come in handy is if you are trying to quietly charge your rifle, you can slowly push the action closed with relatively little noise. I have never been around the other non-reciprocating style, so I can't comment on that one.

When picking up my Plum Crazy (from NewFrontierArmory) lower I got into a discussion with the local FFL trying to explain to me how they wouldn't ever trust a plastic lower due to the fact it was plastic. I asked if they had ever even HEARD of Plum Crazy...and they said no. "Just too much negative out there about polymer lowers". I asked what the difference was in an XD or Glock or any other polymer pistol which has a "plastic" lower half and a steel slide and whatnot. They just said they wouldn't trust it for a lower. Some people don't like change, and some people don't trust anything new. I wouldn't take a dealers word as gospel unless they've used them and sold them and no longer do it due to supposed problems.

I like the idea behind it, but don't know if its necessary for a sidecharging for me personally.

There has been alot of debate on the side charging(S/C) uppers..
I own 2 setups myself and doing a 3rd.
As for your "gunsmith" he doesn't have a clue about them.Nor did he sound like he wanted too..
Your "gunsmith" mentioned not accurate enough??
The S/C setup was actually designed for Long Range AR's.
I know plenty of S/C rigs that shoot 1/4 MOA all day..look at one of Alexander Arms top of the line GSR rifle.
Alot of long range guys like the side charging handle as it adds a little more weight to the carrier, and they can also charge the rifle from the bench without having to pull out of the scope..F-class guys will use a single shot bob sled and manually load the round..making it easier with the S/C.
World Famous shooters Glen Zediker and David Tubb have build some incredible AR's ..
Look and see what some of their Precision AR's have for an upper
wink.gif

Your "gunsmith" also mentioned not rigid enough??
Maybe not rigid enough for a tank to run over it.Look around you will see plenty of 6.5 Grendel/6.8 SPC builds using a S/C.
The grendel is about as hot as you can run in the AR-15 platform anyway.
The MEGA upper/LAR upper are beefed up for the fact that more material is removed for the pocket.

As for my downsides.
1)more of a chance to get dirt in the carrier.
2)one more thing to tighten/add when you assemble/disassemble rifle.
As for the ASA Upper..cannot say yay or nay on it..personally i am not interested in it..too many parts in the handle.
Just my take.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. When you really think about it my favorite shotgun (Beretta A390) is really just a side charging shotgun with a reciprocating bolt handle. Never had a danger problem with that. I can't count the number of rounds I've unleashed with that and never gave it a second thought. I like the idea of a side charger while shooting prairie dogs from prone. Just my thoughts.....

i have a lar left hand handle its great i never have to leave the scope and its billet.it has a 24in.saber defence heavy target on it and it will drive tacks all day and im going to build another with a 264lbc

Ask Mr. Carver how his side charger works, I built it from an ASA side charger, there are a few other folks who have them, never a problem. I know its a personal preference, but no sense bad mouthing someone. LAR ones are good too, just reciprocating.

I have an ASA side charging upper and absolutely love it. It's safe, hasn't given me any reliability issues, and looks stunning. It does catch on the bolt release, but that's only when you're letting the bolt slide forward with back pressure, if you let it go it hits home every time. If it does hang on the bolt release on a slow release, it only takes a split second giggle to get it past.

I do think it has a touch more drag during the charge do to the lateral torque it exerts on the BCG, but that's just me being observent, it's not an actual issue.

I would recommend an ASA upper to anyone. I'll have an ASA side charger on my next build, and the build I have in the works for my little brother. The customer service at ASA is STUNNING, thanks to Scott at Specialized Dynamics for the heads up on their flawless service.

IMG00335-20101019-2256.jpg

IMG00287-20100824-1905.jpg

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9LAR ones are good too, just reciprocating.

I'm with you Scott, I see no issue with the reciprocation, we all grew up shooting 10/22s and they recipricate a bolt handle. I know there is a difference in the return force of a centerfire, but I can't think of a single time in the thousands of rounds I ran through my Ruger that it ever tagged me. I would conside an LAR for my next build if I wasn't so pleases with the ASA.

There is no sense in you saying i was bad mouthing ASA.
Read my post again.

Originally Posted By: scottmilk9Ask Mr. Carver how his side charger works, I built it from an ASA side charger, there are a few other folks who have them, never a problem. I know its a personal preference, but no sense bad mouthing someone. LAR ones are good too, just reciprocating.

Looks good man!
Glad your are happy with your build.
Keep at em!

Originally Posted By: Blitz636I have an ASA side charging upper and absolutely love it. It's safe, hasn't given me any reliability issues, and looks stunning. It does catch on the bolt release, but that's only when you're letting the bolt slide forward with back pressure, if you let it go it hits home every time. If it does hang on the bolt release on a slow release, it only takes a split second giggle to get it past.

I do think it has a touch more drag during the charge do to the lateral torque it exerts on the BCG, but that's just me being observent, it's not an actual issue.

I would recommend an ASA upper to anyone. I'll have an ASA side charger on my next build, and the build I have in the works for my little brother. The customer service at ASA is STUNNING, thanks to Scott at Specialized Dynamics for the heads up on their flawless service.

IMG00335-20101019-2256.jpg

IMG00287-20100824-1905.jpg

I have a side charging AR that I bought from another member here, and love it! I like being able to use my left hand to charge, keep my right hand on the pistol grip. Just seems more natural. Oh, it is an ASA, as well.

kevlars

Originally Posted By: kevlarsI have a side charging AR that I bought from another member here, and love it! I like being able to use my left hand to charge, keep my right hand on the pistol grip. Just seems more natural. Oh, it is an ASA, as well.

kevlars

And I have regretted selling that rifle ever since. If you ever want to sell it, I'll buy it back from you. That rifle is a coyote hammer!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Sorry STS, I don't think I can bring myself to sell it!
grin.gif

I shot it at the range and it shot REAL well. I hope to get out with my buddy and call some coyotes in on Friday, and that will be the one going with me. I loaded up some 60 gr. Vmaxs for it, and they shot well. I have some 60 gr. Bergers to try for the next range session. I won't tell you how they shoot, don't want to make you feel bad!
blush.gif

kevlars

Back