Dtech 25 wssm shipped today!

204 AR

Got the call from Mike today that they were shipping my 25 wssm upper today! Very excited, it's been a long 11 months but hopefully it's here in time to shoot this weekend.

Anybody have any pet loads they want to share? I have Varget and w760 on hand, and 100 gr nbt's and I think some old 75 and 87 gr Hornady's. I think Mike suggested 87 gr Sierras for coyotes and 100 gr partitions for deer.

Let us know how it performs. Im looking to order 2 from mike one in a 243 wssm but may try the 25 wssm for my second.

Congrats on your new upper. I received my Dtech 25 wssm about a month ago. I have had limited opportunity to work up loads, but here is the best I have found so far:

1. 90gr Sierra GK, 42.5gr Varget, 2.245 OAL; Got a 3 shot group that measured .133". Got greedy and tried for 5 shots and opened it up to 1/2". Should be a devistating coyote load.

2. 100gr Nosler BT Spitzer, 39.5gr Varget, 2.260 OAL; 5 shot groups just under 1/2". This would be a nice deer or hog load.

Still have a lot of tsting to do. Would like to try a few more bullets as well as some other powders, such as IMR-4350 and RL17.

Don't get discouraged if you don't get great results right away. The 25 wssm is a finicky caliber and not the easiest to reload. Had horrible results with Nosler 85gr BTs. Couldn't even get them to shoot 1 MOA and some groups were over 2 MOA. Then tried the loads above and was suddenly putting shot after shot through the same hole.

By the way, I have the Shilen barrel, 22", fluted with compensator? What configuration did you get?

I went with the Oly SUM 22" fluted, no comp. I heard such good things about the SUMs that I decided to try it. Hope I don't regret not spending the extra cash.

Those 90 and 100 gr groups sound great. What kind of speeds are you getting?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI went with the Oly SUM 22" fluted, no comp. I heard such good things about the SUMs that I decided to try it. Hope I don't regret not spending the extra cash.

Those 90 and 100 gr groups sound great. What kind of speeds are you getting?

Thanks

I don't have a chronograph, but estimating from the load data I used, I would say about 3200 fps with the 90s and 3000 fps with the 100s.

I'm waiting on two little masterpieces from Mike... In the meantime I've made enough ammo to be ready for the Zombie apocalypse that's coming
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: 17tacticalI'm waiting on two little masterpieces from Mike... In the meantime I've made enough ammo to be ready for the Zombie apocalypse that's coming
wink.gif

Details...??

Congratulations! There no feeling like getting that call! I got Mike's 25 WSSM in 2005, it has the SUM barrel. The thing is stupid accurate. My only reqret is I did not compensated.
frown.gif
After this season I will be shipping back to Mike to get that done and one of his new vented handguards! Keep us informed our your load developement.

Here it is, got it all put together. This probably isn't the scope I'll keep on it, but it will work great for load development.

The upper and lower match better than what it looks like here. But I do have one I think matches even better, I might switch out at some point.

Weather permitting I'm gonna start the break in and load testing tomorrow. Hope she shoots as good as she looks!
Wish me luck!

IMG_1390.jpg

Ok, one range trip down. The weather was crappy as it started to rain, so my targets are in no shape for posting. I did the shoot one, clean for 4 shots, then shot a 3 shot group, then cleaned, etc.

My first three were with 87 gr hdy's and ww760, even with cleaning between they measured about an inch, same with the three shot group, about 1 1/4". Every one functioned perfectly for these seven. Bolt locked back on the single loaded ones and the last 3 rattled off just like they should.

Then came the 100 gr nbt's. They look like a shotgun pattern, and did not function the rifle with either ww760 or Varget. Lots of short stroking and even a case that didn't want to extract. This was only 3 shots with each powder, fairly mild loads. Primers looked ok.

Then back to 87 gr hdy's and Varget, 3 groups of 3, 42 gr, 43gr, and 44gr. All groups hovered around an inch, but they did not run reliably. 44 is max, and it didn't even run. Primers look good.

I sent Mike a message and am sure I'll hear from him soon, but what do you think is going on with the malfunctions?

Oh, brass was new fc 223 wssm brass necked up, and everything chambered easily.

Back