Best 22/250 load?

SSRacing11c

I have a Tikka T3 in 22/250 twist is 14 barrel length is 22". Is it most twist lighter bullet. I dont really remember. What best Bullet/Powder load? Im using 40gr sierras and 40gr v max with 35.5gr IMR 4320. Thanks.

As I recall faster twist for heavier bullets..

As far as the best load for your rifle, you need to work that load up..

A 1in9 twist in a caliber like the 22-250 gives you the ability to shoot much heavier bullets than 52gr. Normally, 22-250 is factory barreled with a 1in14, and that limits the bullet weights to 60gr or less.

For optimum bullet weight in aany givien caliber you need to look up and apply the Greenhill Formula.

Dont plan on shooting anything higher then 60gr so i should be good but thanks for the advice about the twists. And about the bugholes ill have to try that. The sierras are good but was just seeing if it could get better.

I shot several loads in Rem 700's with 14 twists over the years:

34-35g of H4895 with the 55's
34.5-35.5g of IMR 4064 with the 55's

39.2g of H380 with a 55(Max load!)

39.0-41.0g of Win 760 with the 55's

I have had great luck with the Sierra 55g BTHP and Sierra 55g Sp, 55g Semi point, and 55g Nosler Ballistic tip. The 55g Hornady Sp that is so cheap shoots less than 1/3" groups in a couple of 223's and 223 AI's, but I have yet to kill a dog with them, they would also be a great bullet to try. I am not a huge fan of super explosive bullets due to the fact that so many of my shots have been at quartering angles. On quartering angles, you really need a bullet to penetrate 10" of flesh and bone, not many poly tip bullets will do this with the exception of a 55g ballistic tip and the 60g V max.

Check this site out for some great loads:

http://www.centerfirecentral.com/viewer.html

When ever you read of loads on the internet, verify with a reloading manual and work up to those loads that are listed(typo's).

Last edited:
Getting ready to try some 60 grain Noslers. Fingers are crossed that I can push them enough to stabilize in my Model 70sa 1:14 twist 26' barrel. Guess we will see.

Ruger M77 MKII - 52 Gr Sierra HPBT - 34.9 Gr RE15. Just as reminder, don't forget the pressure issues that can come up when using increased powder loads in 22-250's.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog52 gr. Berger,36gr. Varget. OAL 2.504 in my Tikka Varmint. Yours maybe different. Produces bug holes.

YES. This load, with the exception of the OAL, produces 1/2" groups or less at 100 yards with the five 22-250s of various makes and models that we have tried it in. Its weird how some loads just work. Same with a load that we have for our .204s.

I'm actually getting my best groups with Sierra 55 gr spitzers and 36.8 gr of Varget. I've shot the Sierra BTHP and Vmax in 55 gr with good results as well. I've had some good results with R15 also. My gun shoots everything pretty good though so it's hard to find one or another that is significantly better.

I tried like crazy to find a load with H-380 that my rifle liked, then I tried Varget, which shot pretty good. But it turns out it likes Benchmark the best. 35 grains under a 50 grain Vmax = sub MOA for me. Weatherby Super Varmint Master 22-250.

Back