Most fur friendly load for the 22-250

Trapper Luke

Got a question out there for all you guys that hunt yotes with a 22-250. I know the 22-250 isnt the most fur friendly caliber out there from what I've seen. Are their any loads that seem to be a little easier on the fur than others?

I'll be reloading too by the way.

Thanks,
Luke

.22-250 is plenty fur freindly on yotes. About any 50-55gr varmint bullet will do fine and don't worry about pushing it to fast if you reload.

I hardly ever get an exit shooting 50gr. V-maxs at about 3600fps. When I do get an exit, I hit to close to the edge or in the gut. In other words, my fault not the cartridges.

CB

I use the Rem. 55 grain PLHP bullet that seems to be more fur friendly for me. Others have left less than desirable holes for me.

I struggled with the .22-250 on fur for years then read a post by Byron South about using the 60 grain V-max in the .223. I tried it in my .22-250 and had really good luck with it. If I'd have found the 60 grain V-max first, I may not have ended up becoming a .204 convert! We haven't shot a ton of coyotes with it but enough to know that it is far and away better than any other bullet we had tried. Good luck!

I like the Sierra 55gr SPBT's. Not uncommon to get an exit, but sure smacks a coyote hard. Very accurate bullet too. I'm also experimenting with the 55 Nosler BT

52gr A-max for me with 39.2gr of H380 behind it not the fastest but does a good job on yotes and packs plenty of punch shootin 1/4in groups at 100 too.

Originally Posted By: DiogeeI like the Sierra 55gr SPBT's. Not uncommon to get an exit, but sure smacks a coyote hard. Very accurate bullet too. I'm also experimenting with the 55 Nosler BT .yep, they POUND coyotes. they will usaully exit on broadside shots but with a small exit hole

Back