Coyote Shot Placement

beavis

I have a question to those who use ballistic tips for predator hunting. Do you general shoot them in the shoulder or do you wait for a shot to put them behind the shoulder? The reason I'm asking because I have heard alot about "splash wounds".

There are lot of variables when it comes to ballistic tips and splash wounds. Calibur, velocity, angle of impact, point of impact, etc. From my experience, with a shot to the spine or top of the shoulder, generally you'll see bigger entry wounds with the faster and smaller grain bullets. Anything square in the shoulder and you'll be fine.

Some of the biggest holes I've ever seen in coyotes came from a 25-06 shooting a 90 gr. positive expansion point (very similar to a hollow point).

As you'll learn over time, waiting for the most ideal shot angle is not always feasible when calling coyotes. Many times you have to take what they give you and hope you put the bullet where you held the crosshairs!!!!

Geoff

Bullet "splash" occurs when you're shooting a very light bullet at extremely high velocities. An example of this is the .204 Ruger shooting a 32 gr v-max. The solution to this is simple, shoot a heavier or better constructed bullet. If you're not shooting a .204 Ruger, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

However in answer to your question, on a broadside shot, I pick the front leg and draw a line straight up to the widest part of the torso and shoot 'em there. I do this for a couple of reasons, more room for error if the shot isn't perfect, more muscle mass there resulting in less pelt damage, and quick and easy sight acquisition. It's fast and easy to aim center mass right above the front leg. This photo gives you a pretty good idea of how it looks. Hope this helps!

July08.jpg

Dang-it Geoff, apparently you type faster than me. LOL!

Last edited:
I put the crosshairs center mass normally, if quartering towards me or straight at me. Anything basically from where the lungs end to the end of its shoulder will DRT it, including neck and head. broadside shots are nice but don't always happen when calling.

~Bryan

Quote:

If you're not shooting a .204 Ruger, you probably don't have anything to worry about.

I'd bet a 50gr VMAX, Blitzking, or a variety of other bullets in several other cartridges would also splash on a solid shoulder bone shot.

I agree with the shot placement part.

Experience tells me that my 22-250 shooting 50GR VMAX at 3400 FPS does not like bone. Oh it damages the goods real well, but, more often than not its a splash and LOTS of visible damage, but no DRT. I aim for the softer entry(behind the shoulder,or quartering, in between the shoulders frontal) for best results. Knowing what that bullet will, or, will not do helps with that decision. I like them to muych to give them up; accurate and devastating. Not pelt friendly most of the time.

My experience with the 45 GR. Winchester 22-250 is different than some others have had. With about 70 coyotes shot with this round, I can honestly say that the only splash that I have seen is the parts and blood out the back side. With a full frontal or a Texas heart are the only time that the bullet has not exited. Not fur friendly-- Period.

Used to be a sticky posted - can't find! The pic posted above is similar. I believe the pic's I remember were in "Predator Biology", but I can't seem to get them up now.
Mark

Quote:Do you general shoot them in the shoulder or do you wait for a shot to put them behind the shoulder? If you draw a mental line from the head, along the neck and another one up the front leg, aim for the intersecting point and you will be in the area for a pretty good "clean kill" shot...

CoyoteVitalSpotc.jpg

Close to half my yote shots are straight on facing me. In that case, I aim for right below the line where the neck joins the torso. Aim much lower than that, if you shoot low, you get the dreaded "brisket shot". If you shoot a little higher than that point of aim, they still drop.

Up here we hunt em with .308 180gr sp core loct they go down no matter where they are hit... Nothing but pink mist in the snow....but i guess if you want the pelt not a good idea.....

To avoid the the shoulder blade, ensure he is stepping forward with the opposite let. As the leg goes forward the blade comes down partway on the kill zone.

Back