220 swift Pet loads

For 35 years of loading the wonderful Swift I have tried many loads and pushed many thousands of bullets down the barrels of my guns during that time. The loads that I like best for the 50 grain Ballistic Tips are 38 grains of IMR 4064 and 39 grains of R-15. Most of the time I use a standard large rifle primer of what I have close by. Neither is a hot load but both shoot very well. Most times under a half inch at 100 yards. I have pretty much quit maxing my .220 Swift loads years ago as I have just found no need for them.

Rustydust's load is the same that Broughton and his wife used for many years to kill thousands of yotes in Texas, with the exception that they used the 52g Sierra BTHP.

I shot a load of 44.5g of AA2700 with a 50g Nosler Ballistic tip at 4000 fps. Three shots in the .200-..250 are were norm with a federal 210.

Work up to this load in your rifle due to variations in powder lots and barrels. Faster twists than 14 will spike pressures quicker.

Sierra 52 HPBT sent down range by 4831.

Possibly not max. velocity but it's sure accurate in this old Ruger 77V Flatbolt.

Swift.jpg

SwiftGroup.jpg

I used RL15 in my Swift as well, once I stumbled onto that powder there was no going back for me. I was shooting little bughole groups and making shots on groundhogs that I never made up until that point, my load wasnt a burner either but boy it was deadly.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKSierra 52 HPBT sent down range by 4831.

Possibly not max. velocity but it's sure accurate in this old Ruger 77V Flatbolt.

Swift.jpg

SwiftGroup.jpg
Groups like that are more common with the great 220 Swift than most people know. I have been through many 22-250s , 243s , 6mm Rem & ackley version before I tried the old swift. The 220 Swift will out shoot them all. There is magic in the Swift.

My swift seems to like the IMR 4350 with a 53 grain HP. The more diff. load combos that I try it seems to settle in good at that 3600 fps give of take a little. (That is with the 50-55 weights, I don't shoot much of the less than 52gr. stuff!)

Sir. I use Sierra 50gr.BK's &41gr.Re15 Fed.210m Did the 52gr.HPBT 42.gr.H380 & CCI200 for 30yrs. and loved em' Only changed to get one powder for .243/.220 with no regrets. Love both loads.

My load is 44.0 of H-414 over a 55gr v-max out of my Ruger No.1V. Greta Coyote load, abit much for anything smaller. Very consistant with most rounds touching one another when my old eyes get focused:)

I tried it with 4064 and found out that it shoots a little over an inch with 38 grs of 4064 and the 50 gr bt. I will try to tinker with it when I run out of what I've got loaded now. When I shot it, it shot in a diagnol line going left to right and up every shot. What could I do to try and tighten the groups. A friend of mine told me to lower the powder charge some. What do you think?

Originally Posted By: brock2013I tried it with 4064 and found out that it shoots a little over an inch with 38 grs of 4064 and the 50 gr bt. I will try to tinker with it when I run out of what I've got loaded now. When I shot it, it shot in a diagnol line going left to right and up every shot. What could I do to try and tighten the groups. A friend of mine told me to lower the powder charge some. What do you think?
That sounds a lot like a weather report. If the shots were strung out along an eight oclock- 2 oclock line, that is wind.

Jack

Originally Posted By: claimbusterMine likes 55 gr. BK's and H380. Not terribly fast, but very accurate.
thats what i shoot in mine and get about 3900 fps and it shoots .250, I love my swift!

Last edited:
Back