Re: Removing Dried Blood

River Runner

Cold water and a mild dishsoap like Dawn works great, Al.

Yes if you can do it before it drys, it'll make your job easier.

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

What would you guys recommend on a bear skin that has huge balls of dried sap on the arms. Guess it was eating a lot of pine nuts! The taxadirmist said that he did not know how to get them off w/o damaging the skin (shot her in Sept before she really fur'd out).

Kerosene, or straight gasoline. I'm unsure wether or not they can break the sap down enough to remove it or not. Neither one will harm the hide as long as you wash it when your done removing the sap.

[edit] note; preferably kerosene.

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by River Runner (edited 02-01-2002).]

Rinse the dried blood spot in cold water till the bood is re-hydrated. wipe off as much as you can. keep repeating till blood is "loose". I use a straight solution of Hydrogen Pyroxide. Pour HP on remmaining blood. Let it bubble for a few seconds. rinse off with cold water.repeat.
I have been doing it this way for over 30 years and have never washed out any color.
Even though I did think of making some Pale coyotes a couple times. Mike

Mike is it safe to assume that your using peroxide from the grocery store? Because that's only 3%. I can see where that wouldn't bleach any fur, you can even gargle with that solution.

I didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea and ruin some furs. The peroxide used for cleaning skulls is available in 40% +.
That...will do more to a fur then remove dried blood
wink.gif

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

I heard about this over on trapperman and have only tried this once, so try at your own risk, lol.

WD 40!!!!! Just spray some on a rag and wipe off.

It probly won't take of heavy blood but it did work on smaller areas. For heavy blood areas I just wash in cold water and dry.

Back