Fixing holes in pelts

Minkman

What do I need to fix holes in pelts? Types of thread and needles needed would help me. I cut a couple of holes in my beaver pelts and want to repair them. Also, should the stitches be very close together? Thanks

When we fix holes in pelts, they get cut into a football shape before sewing. That makes it easier to draw the two sides of the opening back together without giving that area of the hide a tucked or puckered appearance.
If your sewing, a coyote, or fox, bobcat, something thin skinned, you can use a needle just big enough to allow your thread through it's eye.
Hides with thicker skin, you'll need a leather needle. Most of them have a triangular tip instead of the round pointed ones most needles have. The triangular tip allows it to slice into the leather instead of puncturing it. Much easier.

Thread?...I like to use a thread that can disguise itself in the fur. Meaning choose your color, for thin hides. Thicker hides you'll need a cape thread, and it's available waxed to make pulling it tight easier in the skin.

Make your stitches whatever distance apart it takes to draw the opening closed. 1/8 to 1/4 inch usually works.

Minkman, speaking from experience, unless were talking some huge gaping holes here, I would save myself the grief. 9 times out of 10, when that hide is all tanned, finished and groomed, you can never see the holes from the outside anyway. The fur all blends in and covers them fine. Deer are a little different story, their hair is hollow and not as soft. Holes show a little more obviously .

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by River Runner (edited 01-22-2002).]

My partner and I used to buy upholstery needles with a nice curve in them (almost a semi-circle if I remember right). Seemed to work real nice for what we did.

Thanks guys, I was wondering if suture needles and 3/0 silk would work? A friend whos a nurse is getting some for me. Maybe I'll wax the silk like I do for trout flies.

Back