Cage Trap Pic

Zackster 2000

Maybe a little help if this works. Gives you an idea of size and material types.

fdfe37af.jpg

Just to the left of the cats head you can see the 1/8" rebar used for the frame. Pic was taken looking through the hinged door of the trap.

[This message has been edited by Zackster 2000 (edited 01-16-2002).]

Zack, thanks for the pic. I've been wondering if I'd ever see a bobcat in a trap and now I guess I have. :)
In building the trigger system for the trap, did he use a plate or something in the floor for the cat to step on or did he use another method? I'm almost ready to build my own, but haven't decided on the trigger system yet. Was thinking of using the old rabbit-box style trigger which uses the notched stick that they bump up against to throw the door down.
Thanks again Zack

Hello WNC - My friend uses a wide flat plate for a trigger system. You can buy smaller commercial versions that are big enough for a house cat and I think my buddy basically copied this design and just scaled it up for a bobcat. I only get to see him about once every 3 months since he lives in Colo., but will try to get some more info. next time I'm back. I do know that the trigger plate is somehow connected to a solid rod that runs over the inside top of the cage and back to the hinged door. The trigger plate is hinged, and I'm thinking that there is a small metal rod on both sides of the hinged trigger plate that connects to the solid rod overhead that runs back to the hinged door. He also lubes the metal parts of the rod with some graphite to make it work fast and quick once an animal steps on the trigger plate.

I wanna say he caught 7 or 8 cats last year with 5 cages, and many more grey fox that he had to release. Colorado apparently has grey fox as protected now. He has yet to get a yote in one of these and I doubt he ever will. The old wily yote is probably too smart to enter
smile.gif

Back