scope for a 788 in .243

dpenrod

just picked up a decent little remington 788 in .243 suggestions for a decent, not break the bank scope for this rifle? mostly gonna be a coyote gun with the occasional deer thrown in. looking at the mueller apv. for $114 looks like it'd be tough to beat.

Welcome to Predator Masters.

You won't get much of a scope for $114, but on the other hand you are probably (?) looking at 100 yds or less and won't need much of a scope.

i have a simmons 3x10 50mm on my 788 243 and have for years.
it hold sight vary well and i've killed coyotes out to 600 yrds with it.
it was $120 when i bought it.

Originally Posted By: dpenrodjust picked up a decent little remington 788 in .243 suggestions for a decent, not break the bank scope for this rifle? mostly gonna be a coyote gun with the occasional deer thrown in. looking at the mueller apv. for $114 looks like it'd be tough to beat.

The Mueller APV 4.5-14x40AO is a pretty good scope, but we don't sell a whole lot of them for your intended uses. We sell a metric ton for rimfire guys where AO is more important. For your uses, you can get a little more scope, a bigger objective bell (more light), and more FOV in the same size package as the 40AO scopes.

For you I'd suggest looking at something without AO unless you forsee yourself needing to punch a lot of paper?

The Mueller Hybrid3-9x40 EER at $129.95 is nice if you want a nice compact 3-9x with some extra eye relief for quick shots.

There are also 2-7's, 3-9's, 3-10's in their Illuminated Sport Dot line of scopes.

Another good deal going right now are the Vortex Viper 2-7x32's at a closeout price of $169.95.

I think you'd be better suited to look at something in this power range and with these types of features.

Last edited:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/riflescopes.html

Now you have more "not break the bank" options!

Have to agree, the 788 is a deadly accurate weapon, but it's low budget design doesn't demand a high quality scope, and it's uncanny accuracy doesn't need a lot of help. Unless I was going to be doing a lot of long range or low light shooting, I'd save money on a better scope for my more expensive guns.

Bought a 788 Youth model that had an Armsport 3-9x40 on it, (made by Tasco) many moons ago; short barrel and all, it was a killing machine!! Quite likely the most accurate gun I've ever owned.

I have had a few 788's and the only problem is reciever flex which stretches your brass and will likely need full length sizing period. The one's I had were extremely accurate and sold them and now I am kicking my self for doing that.Good Find IMHO.

I have an old 788, with a real walnut stock on it. Someone said that the first year or two that they were made they put real walnut on them. Don't know if it is true or not. Mine is in 222, and I put an old Bushnell ScopeChief 3-9 on it. Looks real good, about the same era as the rifle.

kevlars

Originally Posted By: jonbearmanI have had a few 788's and the only problem is reciever flex which stretches your brass and will likely need full length sizing period. The one's I had were extremely accurate and sold them and now I am kicking my self for doing that.Good Find IMHO. I was told that they stretched brass because of bolt compression. The locking lugs are on the rear of the bolt and not on the face. I've heard and readed that the 788 have a rigid reciever and a fast lock time and thats what made them so accurate. Weather thats true or not it sounded good to me.

"I was told that they stretched brass because of bolt compression. The locking lugs are on the rear of the bolt and not on the face."

Very true.

Jack

I would look for a 3-9 scope The best that you could afford. Be it a weaver, nikon,leupold,or burris, new or used. For deer or coyotes its best not having an scope that you have to focus. Thats my opinion

Natchez has the Bushnell 3200 series on sale 3-9 for 140.00.
I have one of the 3-10 compacts on one of my rifles and while it is not as good as my leupy's it is great for the money.

I have an old Tasco 3-12 that has worked well on my 788 (222) for years; anything in that range will do well.

Comments (above) re 788 "receiver flex" are all BS [I reload] and have seen these claims over the years...it is a very strong and stiff action as the barrel shank goes much deeper into the action than other designs. I have not experienced any case "stretch"; the bolt lugs do not allow movement or change dimension, if they did there would be head space problems.

Buy a scope and go hunting.

Jack Roberts is WRONG on this one

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: who meOriginally Posted By: jonbearmanI have had a few 788's and the only problem is reciever flex which stretches your brass and will likely need full length sizing period. The one's I had were extremely accurate and sold them and now I am kicking my self for doing that.Good Find IMHO. I was told that they stretched brass because of bolt compression. The locking lugs are on the rear of the bolt and not on the face. I've heard and readed that the 788 have a rigid reciever and a fast lock time and thats what made them so accurate. Weather thats true or not it sounded good to me. I Shoot a 788 in .223 and hand load for it. I don't notice excessive case stretching. Like I said above, I've read that they stretch brass because of bolt compression. Maybe it happens in the larger calibers { higher operating pressure] like 22-250, 243, 6mm, and the 308, which was made in the 788. Maybe the .222 and .223 are not so hard on the brass [lower operating pressures]

You might want to take a look at the remaining discontinued Nitrex by Weaver TR1 or TR2 scopes available at www.natchess.com Recently, Natchez has reduced their prices even lower on them and with Nitrex rebate, they are a heck of a bargain buy for a quality scope with very good glass.

Originally Posted By: DGWYou might want to take a look at the remaining discontinued Nitrex by Weaver TR1 or TR2 scopes available at www.natchess.com Recently, Natchez has reduced their prices even lower on them and with Nitrex rebate, they are a heck of a bargain buy for a quality scope with very good glass.

I had sent people that direction up until recently. The warranty claim process seems like it's quite a nightmare if you get a lemon, or will have a problem down the road with the Nitrix scope:

Rimfire Central Thread-Warranty headaches with Nitrix

the 788 wasn't a bad action until you got into the .308 base cartridge. I had plenty of issues with the action getting tight on my .308. When the more high performance loads were put into the .243, it would give me the same issues. And yes, the cases would stretch on these actions with hot loads.

The likelihood of locking up the action due to case stretching is why I got rid of my 788's and went to savage.

I have to agree with Jack Roberts on this one. Based off personal experience with the .243 and .308 cartridges.

Any of the decent low to mid-range scopes will do you right on this action. I had been trying different scopes on it that would run me $80-200 just for different reticles and to try out mil-dots without sinking a ton of money on a scope I might not like.

Check out sportsman's guide for some decent scopes on the cheap. not saying they are the best, but they work.

There is nothing wrong with the 788 action. It is great but you can not load it to real high pressures. Stick to reasonable pressures and you will have no problems.

We can argue about why, but pretty much everybody agrees that it should not be overlosded.

Jack

Originally Posted By: dpenrodjust picked up a decent little remington 788 in .243 suggestions for a decent, not break the bank scope for this rifle? mostly gonna be a coyote gun with the occasional deer thrown in. looking at the mueller apv. for $114 looks like it'd be tough to beat.
You can get pretty decent glass for around $200. I suggest a Burris FFII or Bushnell Elite. I have a FFII in redfield mounts on my .243 carbine and I have more confidence in that rifle than any I own.
And yes, the 788s chambered in the .308 based cartridges, not the .222 &.223, are very hard on brass because of bolt compression. I've been shooting and reloading for them for 25 years (currently own 4) and as Jack said, DO NOT load them hot. Bad things will happen if you do.

Last edited:
Back