Reg. or OS Jaws on Coyote Traps?

possum

I bought a Trapper and Predator Caller Magazine and noticed all the differant traps that are labeled as "coyote traps" from sizes 1.5s - 4s plus ect.
My biggest questions are Reg. or OS Jaws and why? And which size and type/brand are best sited to the task at hand? All opinions welcomed. possum

Possum, Definitely offset jaws to keep from breaking bone. Coyotes don't chew their legs off as often quoted but if the bone breaks, the sharp edges cut the leg as the coyote fights the trap. My opinion is for the #2 trap in any coil spring and preferably 4 coiled so they move faster in frozen dirt. You get what you pay for and the more expensive traps are probably better but you can catch coyotes without them. Good luck and good trapping. Lonnie

Personally I wouldn't use anything less than a #3, but we have some pretty big coyotes here. Plus I like a bigger trap in colder weather, just my opinion. LOTS of coyotes have been caught by #2s. I like 5 to 6 foot of chain with three swivels and a heavy drag. Just make sure you bed your trap firmly, otherwise you get dug up traps. Good luck. Fred

Thanks Guys,
I was thinking about trying to trap some coyotes but just didn't know what traps to try,thanks again. possum

I've caught coyotes in a number of different types of traps. By far the best I have ever used were the #3 offset jaws double longsprings. They take a couple of extra licks with the digging hammer to dig the bed, but they bed rock solid instantly. You spend a lot less time fooling with dirt trying to bed them. I use 18" of chain, mounted in the center of the base, with a swivel at each end and a third in the middle. 24" crossed rebar stakes hold everything where I left it.

MJ600's are wonderful out of the box traps, but they took to long to bed. The best traps for coyotes I ever bought were F.C. Taylor #4's They were a #4 double longspring, with coyote cuff jaws and a posi-trip pan. Center swiveled with two swivels. All I added was a third swivel at the end of the chain and a double stake base. I set the pans hard enough that most fox, coons or possums didn't fire the trap, but the coyotes were all waiting right there for me.

I prefer #3's. Double coil spring as they are easy to hide. Using old Herter's, Blake and Lamb and Montgomery Step-in and Victor. You might want to go to a #4 when everything starts freezing. They will break through the soil faster and will crush the frozen dirt that gets between the jaws better.

Possum, I use 1.75 os in areas where fox and coyotes are together. Early season coyotes get #2 laminated os, 4 coiled, center frame mounted 15" triple swiveled chain to 24" cross stakes. Late season (after snow and freezing temps) I move up to #3s, same configuration as the #2s, to push through the snow and freezing ground faster.

Offset jaws let the levers to ride higher on the jaw when the leg (foot pad) is in the trap which provides a more secure hold.

[This message has been edited by megapredator (edited 01-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by megapredator (edited 01-03-2002).]

Back