Changing the bolt handle on your bolt?

gonzaga

Is there anyone that does this regularly or is it a specialty type of deal,or aftermarket item. I have been thinking about getting the bolt on my CZ enlarged, they are pretty small.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

gonzaga

Aftermarket bolt handles are popular for Remington 700s; I believe it takes a special tool to disassemble the bolt in that example. In the case of your C-Z, if it's a 527: www.jamescalhoon.com will modify the arc of the handle bend (about $50 exch.) to enable lower mounting of scopes; also improves the ergonomics and leverage while working the bolt (to me, at least.) Removal is by simply twisting the handle from the bolt. However, don't know of any larger/different aftermarket ball options for the C-Z bolt handle.

I wanted a longer bolt handle as well as larger knob on a 1903 target rifle I built and used a 1" ball bearing for the alteration.

First grind the old ball off using bench grinder and leaving a round end on your handle. Next anneal the ball and drill hole (using small lathe) to fit the rounded stub. I left the stub full length and only slipped the ball about 1/2 way on the handle to get maximum length and soft soldered it in place. Here are a couple of pictures of the results:

IMG_3825.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3814.jpg

The flat on bottom of knob was necessary to provide for proper trigger finger placement due to extra large bolt knob, but would not be needed w/normal diameter knob. Works great on rapid fire strings w/extra leverage.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: rebelbell24AZ Precision gets my vote. Keith will take care of you!

Keep in mind the method he uses is NOT compatible with industry standard knobs. Keith chops off your bolt handle, drills and taps a hole. The threads in a screw, then screws the bolt knob on it.

I have had two bolts done by him, and very much prefer the OTHER way.

Most smiths will weld on a 3/8 (i think) threaded stud that lots of different bolt handles will fit on. I have several of these and prefer them to the way AZ precision does it.

Originally Posted By: mark shubertNice work on that 03-A3, what are the spec's?
Mark

Thanks, Mark.

Built this rifle as a practice gun when I was shooting at least 100 rounds a week practice + rounds fired in NRA XTC matches. Barrel is a takeoff (Mark Chandlin) from one of my Pre-64 Mod. 70's that had begun to throw a flier every now and then @ 600 yd line. It had been 26 or 27" long on the '70 so had it cut off enough to clean up the worn throat and re-threaded for the A3 action which left it @ 24". I built the stock to duplicate the feel of my Mod. 70's and put a Timney trigger on it. I had to alter the bolt stop to work backwards from normal A3 in order to clear the Redfield International rear sights I used on my other rifles.

This gun shoots just as well as the Mod 70's but the slower lock time was not as good for offhand. Since it was just a practice rifle, I soon learned that my offhand shots would be one ring outside my call due to the slower lock time. If I called a 10 @ 3 o'clock, it would be a 9 @3, but it was consistent, so didn't matter in practice and saved a lot of wear and tear on my match rifle barrels
grin.gif

The takeoff had a tad over 7500 rounds through it when removed from the Winchester and I put another 1500 or so rounds through it on the A3 before I had to quit shooting competition and it was still shooting great when I put it in the safe.

Rifle weighs right around 13# IIRC.

Edit to add: Forgot that I added the Freeland adjustable buttplate, rail and forend stop.
It was a fun project.

Regards,
hm

Last edited:
Back