was wondring abought disease

horsekrazy

we have called coyotes in for years,touched them,and handled them.But quit a few years ago,My dad got tularemia,and got very sick.
Now i am very caution,about it.What has been
your experience?What caution should we take,
besides rubber gloves,To protect are self's
I know coyotes carry many disease's

People become infected with tularemia (rabbit fever) from the disease entering a cut or open wound, usually on their hands. I had an uncle who died from it back in the '40's. (Never knew him as he died before I was born)
To be honest, I haven't heard of any cases in years... now you've got me thinking!
I generally put on a pair of surgical gloves when skinning - not because of disease, but because I don't want the blood all over my rifle or trapping equipment. Not a bad idea for everyone to consider. Thanks for the post. Something to think about...

------------------
illinoisboy

Home of the fried 'possum fritter"

I can honostly say that in my years of tanning I've been lucky enough not to contract anything from a critter. (knock on wood) But I wouldn't even think about handling a hide without rubber gloves. And I always make it a habit to make sure my Golden Retreiver stays clear of the shop. Ya just never know.

By the way....Welcome to the board, Horse
wink.gif

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

I had tularemia a few years ago and it is definately not fun. Spent 10 days in the hospital and did not feel like trapping for several days after I got home. Was skinning muskrats and had a cut on my middle finger. Got sick about a week later. I feel I was very lucky. Best defense , in my opinion, is a pair of of surgical gloves that are checked often for tears. Check your hands for open cuts and abrasions. Can't be too careful.

Sure, Started off with a low grade fever and a constant feeling of being tired. Lumph nodes in my arm pit and at my elbow began to swell and reached the size of golf balls. That is when I knew I had to do something. I am not one to run to the doctor, but this time I did and was immediately checked into hospital. Received treatments of tetracycoline. A powerful drug that has side effects almost as bad as the disease. Anyway, I had the lymph node under my arm lanced open and the one on my elbow broke by itself. What a relief. Both were taken care of after I had been in the hospital for a week. Stopped taking drug as soon as I got home. Took about another 2 weeks to get my strength back and back to trapping. I feel I was pretty lucky.

Thank ya sir
wink.gif

I'm going to have to do a little homework on that tularemia. Don't know much about it. The local trappers I ask are either too young or never heard of it.
What are computors for, right?

I'm very curious about this. Illinoisboy lost an uncle to it in the 40's so this is nothing new. I got some homework to do
biggrin.gif

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

If I remember right, it was from the ticks on rabbits that you contracted tularamia. The other name for it is rabbit fever. No cuts or exchange of body fluids was necessary. I think you simply received a tick bite from an infected rabbit during the skinning. I also remember reading in the Merck Manual, that if a person survives a bout with tularamia, that person is not only immune to ever catching it again, he is also immune to lymes disease. About the only plus I received from it.

Your right clock6 about being immune to a later bout with it, once you've gone through it.
I looked for a local health department website and the closest I could come up with was Illinois. Which I guess isn't really that important where you live when you contract the disease, but it was posted in there that an infected animal can pass it to another animal (humans included) via body fluids. IE; Your open cut exposed while skinning, or like the post above...'blood in the eye'.
Never the less, it something we all should watch for and try to protect ourselves from.

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Folowing is an excerpt from a Q&A at a website I found on the internet. Lists ways one can contract "rabbit fever"..

How is tularemia spread?
Many routes of human exposure to the tularemia bacteria are known to exist. The common routes include: inoculation of the skin or mucous membranes with blood or tissue while handling, dressing or skinning infected animals; contact with fluids from infected flies or ticks; the bite of infected ticks; or handling or eating insufficiently cooked rabbit or hare meat. Rabbit meat can remain infective even after being frozen for several years. Less common means of spread are: drinking contaminated water; inhaling dust from contaminated soil; or handling contaminated pelts or paws of animals. Tularemia cannot be spread from one person to another.

Dog gone it!! addy did not come through . will edit and add in a second....James L. http://www.dhfs.state.wi.us/healthtips/BCD/Tularemia.htm

There ya go. FYI. James L.

[This message has been edited by James Lindley (edited 12-18-2001).]

Hi all!

When someone gets tularemia and recovers means they are immune from it and lyme disease I understand.

BUT if someone is vaccinated for lyme disease to prevent getting lyme disease are they immune from both lyme and tularemia?

Just wondering, I received the lyme vaccination a while back and was wondering if this would increase resistance to tularemia.

------------------
Later
Eric

"No man has a RIGHT to that which is wrong." --Abraham Lincoln

Back