getting started

Matt Cionek

I am looking at getting started in trapping in Northen New Mexico. What I am looking at is a list of things that I might need. I know some of the basics like traps, shovel, screen, baits and lures. But what I am looking for is what type of these are good. I am looking at buying the Bridger #3OS traps but am not to sure what type of baits and lures to buy. I am mostly traping coyote fox raccon and bobcats.

Hope to draw some information thanks
Matt Cionek

Matt,
You can go crazy trying to figure out which scents to buy. Anything from Hawbaker's is good. All scents from various brands will draw animals. Personally, I use very lttle scent at any of my sets. I let my bait do the drawing. Use sardines for coons - just a piece will do the trick. Usually can get three to four sets from one sardine. Use the oil too. (They don't care - mustard or regular!) For fox / coyote I use natural bait like a piece of squirrel, deer meat, chicken bones from KY fried chicken, etc. Let the bait get a little on the ripe side before making your sets.
Dirt hole sets for bait - nothing at trail sets where they ae traveling.
If you do use scents, use very, very little. I used to live between Belen and Los Lunas and caught lots of fur around the irrigation ditches.
Use #4's for bobcat, #3 traps for coyotes and #2's for fox and coon. I like the double coil spring traps as they are easier to hide vs the long spring models - but all will work. You may find the #4's a little hefty for Mr. B-Cat, but some of them get pretty big and all are very strong - same with a beaver. Generally speaking, anything less than a 4 and a beaver will get out. (Always set up to drown those critters too) The main thing to do is keep everything (traps and equipment) clean and free from your, your dog, or your truck's scent. Double stake your coyote traps with a chain about 3 to 4 feet long. All trap chains should be this length, except for conibears. The reasom for the long chain is so they pull against the stake and not pull up on it.
If you catch something, set another trap at the same location, trying not to disturb the ara too much. New traps should be rusted, then dyed before using. Do the same with your trap stakes and chains. Have evrything ready to go when you approach the spot you'll make your set at. (Trap on the stake, trap set, etc.) That way you don't spend as much time at the spot and don't make too much of a mess spreading all your stuff out around the site. I could go on and on, but will give some of the other guys a chance to give their tips!!!

Good Luck... be patient... and learn from your mistakes!!!
Welcome to Predator Masters...

------------------
illinoisboy

Home of the fried 'possum fritter"

[This message has been edited by illinoisboy (edited 12-07-2001).]

Just wanted to pop in and say, Welcome to Predator Masters, Matt.

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Matt,

You might try some of Jim Grahams Double Cross bait or Craig O'Gormans Powder river paste bait. They are both great on what you are looking to catch.

Some of the best lures I've found were the ones advertised as being designed for use with the M-44's or Getter guns. I put a good smear of the lure on a piece of wool and drop it down a dirt hole set. My dirt holes are dug with a 1.5" hand auger. The coyote has to dig to reach the wool. The longer he has to hang around digging, the more likely he is to still be waiting for me in the morning.
smile.gif

Back