Using Hulls

PJ3

Does anyone have any good tricks to using hulls. I began using them and started have a lot of digs. I re-dipped the traps and I'm going to start again. Do you mix dirt in with the hulls or just staight hulls.

I always used to use straight hulls. I don't recall them ever giving me much trouble. But I only dipped my traps one year, because of all of the digs and low catches. A lot of folks really like to dip, but it just didn't work for me.

If you think the traps have odors, you might try tossing them in a creek for a week or so or take them to the car wash for a good cleaning.

I kept my hulls in five gallon buckets with lids. The kids couldn't open then to play, or spill anything on them when I wasn't around.

I tried hulls one time but gave up on them in a hurry. Since they won't pack, it is really hard to bed a trap solidly in hulls. Also when the wind comes up and blows enough of the hulls off from your trap to uncover it--Well not many coyotes will step in exposed traps. I solved the problem by getting rid of the hulls and going back to the old timey dry dirt for covering traps.
smile.gif

------------------
http://members.aol.com/cronkcalls/calls.html

I had no problem with hulls, they worked great. I would only put a very light covering of hulls under the trap and then I would cover the hulls with dirt. Just a light coating of dirt over the whole thing.

Back