Snaring question..

Tommy Johnson

Ive snared before in the past and have had a good success ratio considering the amount of snares that I have put out.

Two questions though, is Choagnons the cheapest place to buy snaring parts?

And what are all of the best places to snare?
We have alot of barbed wire fences so thats out of the question, so i use sheep and goat fences(net) primarily. I have heard though that culverts under roadways are good but how do you attach your snare and whats the best size culvert to snare? Seems like all of ours are 15" or bigger.

Tommy,
If I were going to hang a snare in a culvert I would be tempted to take my cordless drill and drill a 1/4" hole in end of the culvert. I would attach my snare cable and my old #9 support wire right through that little hole in the culvert. For other good places to hang snares, watch for those narrow little trails they make through the grass and weeds. Road ditches (where legal) will reveal many natural trails where critters love to cross. A really neat trick to take a heck of a lot of coyotes is to make a trail through weed patch or CRP field with your pickup truck, drop off a dead cow as draw station and then hang snares in your pickup tracks.

------------------
http://members.aol.com/cronkcalls/calls.html

Tommy,
I just started using snares myself. I have been setting them out for raccoons and have caught 3 thus far. Two of them I caught at the same drain pipe, and the third one I caught at a fence crossing where a trail went under the fence. This was also a barbed wire fence. I looped my snare around the fence post and set the loop overhanging the trail. I don't think it really matters what type of fence it is. If a trail goes under it, I'd set a snare there.
I have to go in the morning and check my snares again. I discovered some additional trails that look real good for some more snares. Good luck with your snaring.

Thanks guys for the info.

Carl Ive tried snaring barbed wire fences in the past and where i live is mainly desert so theres no vegetation to cause an animal to use a certain path, they can just cross anywhere.

The sheep fence restricts where they can cross and they usually dig a hole underneath it.

I was just about to ask this question myself,

I set snares for the first time just the other day and, set them in the paths along a barb wire fence. The lady who owns the property gave me a dozen snares I think she got from a ADC guy, I guess they were about 12"-16" dia

Anyway I got one coyote 2 days later which made me feel pretty good as she told me the ADC guy took two weeks to get one, then he never showed back up.

I'd like to add snares to my methods of coyote removal and was wanting more info on them.

I noticed one thing tonight while scouting another pice of property this lady owns. I spotted a trail going under a barb wire fence and thought it would be a good place for a snare, till I saw the deer tracks on the other side, I see this as being a problem, catching none targeted game.

One more question, I have read of putting stops on a snare to keep from killing the animal? does this work, and would it save a deer or dog? The coyote i got wound himself of tight to the fence post and I think if there was a stop on the snare he would have still strangled himself

[This message has been edited by wildoats (edited 12-03-2001).]

I must have blinked. They make shear pins for the snares that a deer can break but a coyote can't I really don't know who makes them sorry I can't help with that but I bet somebody on this site knows

Originally posted by wildoats:
I was just about to ask this question myself,

I set snares for the first time just the other day and, set them in the paths along a barb wire fence. The lady who owns the property gave me a dozen snares I think she got from a ADC guy, I guess they were about 12"-16" dia

Anyway I got one coyote 2 days later which made me feel pretty good as she told me the ADC guy took two weeks to get one, then he never showed back up.

I'd like to add snares to my methods of coyote removal and was wanting more info on them.

I noticed one thing tonight while scouting another pice of property this lady owns. I spotted a trail going under a barb wire fence and thought it would be a good place for a snare, till I saw the deer tracks on the other side, I see this as being a problem, catching none targeted game.

One more question, I have read of putting stops on a snare to keep from killing the animal? does this work, and would it save a deer or dog? The coyote i got wound himself of tight to the fence post and I think if there was a stop on the snare he would have still strangled himself.

------------------

Keep your hooks sharp and you powder dry.
Wildoats

"The expactations of life depend upon diligence; the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools."
Confucius

For break away snares try www.snareshop.com They should have everything you need and ship very fast. In Iowa we are required to have a deer stop on snares that restricts the loop from closeing any tighter than 2.5" dia. That keeps the deer's legs free but if you are using a coyote size loop a neck caught deer is possible. When setting a trail that I suspect deer to travel I prop a very visible stick over the snare to encourage deer to go around. The stick should be low enough to discourage them from ducking it but high enough to let a coyote pass easily. For humane reasons and Iowa law I keep the extended snare end at least 2 feet from fences. I've seen animals in snares too close to fences, they tear hell out of themselves.
Hope this helps.

Chris

Wildoats I never have used the deer stops though Ive heard about them. I new a guy who had some sheep fence around his place and set a snare under the fence where only a fox, coyote would travel and snared a deer.

Ive had coyotes take down 4" sections of fences down a drag them off. I new one guy who had a badger get in a snare and he said it seemed like it tore a half a mile down of fence. So its wise to fasten them to the kill poles pretty good.

Zipedo has the right info, or least a good starting point for snare information. I bought my snares from these people and when I got my order, I also got a catalog of their products and inside was direction on setting the snares. If you set them correctly, you can make the snares species specific. I'm setting my snares for coons on trails that they and whatever else is using to travel on. I caught that big boar coon at the fence crossing and all he did was wrap himself up in the bottom and second strand of wire. No damage to the fence except a pulled wire staple. Cut the snare from the fence and hammered the staple back into the post, and reset another snare.
For coons, I set my snares so the bottom of the loop is between 3-4 inches from the ground and the loop itself is between 6-8 in diameter. Have had coyotes use the same trails and all that happens is that they knock the snare off the support wire. No harm, no foul.
For setting on the fence crossings, I have the same type of terrain here in Nevada, which leaves little or no cover on a fence line. But I understand raccoons are creature of habit just like deer or any other critter, and they will take the path of least resistance. I add a little bit of an obstacle on both sides of the trail at the crossing, to help direct them through my snare. So far, it has worked on the big boar I caught.
If you want some good info on this subject, try the web address that Zipedo supplied in his post.
Good luck with the snaring.

Back