ears turned in on a coyote

Tommy Johnson

On Silverfoxes post in the photogallery, I noticed the pelt he has the ears arent turned in. I had one professionally tanned not to long ago and the ears came back turned in. Is this normal?

Could one request for them to not be left tucked in?

Tommy, The ears are split and turned to allow salting and the tanning chemicals to penetrate the ears. The ears can be turned back out. If they are stiff, you will have to rehydrate them. Do this by placing a damp paper towel inside until they soften up.
Tanneries leave the ears turned to allow further splitting or cartilage removal.
Bob

I'm not going to knock another tannery by saying that they we're wrong, but normally the ears are split and turned as Bob mentioned, to remove cartilage and allow complete tanning.
If your post is in reference to SilverFoxes post made on the 15th, I don't believe those ears were turned and split. I think, (based on what I seen in the photo) is that those ears were tanned as is. What your seeing is the effect of it which is a curled ear which happens durring the drying process.
I should mention that ears on small game that are not split and turned will take a real beating durring the tumbling process. They become stiff and want to curl and why...is because, they hit the inside of the tumbling drum first as the hide tumbles which causes them to take a more adverse beating then the rest of the hide causing them to appear bald, bent, broken, ripped, or some other deformed stage.
Almost any hide sent away to be tanned comes back like this unless you specifically state otherwise. Mine included. In which case I use preformed ear cards to hold the shape of the ear until the hide is dried.
Also I like to tumble the hide while the ear is still inside out and turn it right side out after so that none of the fur is damaged while tumbling.

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

[This message has been edited by River Runner (edited 11-17-2001).]

Back