Tanning a hide

I tanned some coyote hides at home for the first time this past summer. They turned out really good, I think. Here is the thread where RR helped me through the process:
http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/000013.html

The kit I used is the Rittell's EZ-100, which I ordered direct from Bruce Rittell. I just looked, and can't find his website anymore, but you can order his kits from:
http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/products.html

I really don't think you could do better than this process for a home tan. I did look into possibly using the Lutan-F, but it sounded like some of the chemicals were quite a bit less friendly for home use than the EZ-100.

- DAA

I just tried to call Bruce Rittel at home and got a machine. I'll try and find out
what's up with the website, and I'll let you know.
Last time we talked there was talk of him moving the site.

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

thanks alot for the help DAA but how do I sweat the hide after I tan it.

[This message has been edited by Gunnut (edited 11-06-2001).]

Gunnut, sweating is probably about the easiest step. All you do, is put the oil (included in the kit) on the leather side, then fold the hides up leather to leather and let them sit like that for awhile to soak up the oil.

- DAA

...and what happens is the oil, (if it's properly matched to the tan) pushes out the water from the tanning bath and replaces it with itself.
Rittel's products require the tanning solution alone hold a PH level of exactly 4 for atleast 20 hours.
The higher PH level of the tanning oil allows the oil to take over the skin so to speak and be absorbed, anything lower would be rejected by the skin and wouldn't take.

I know, it gets wierd, but hey, that's chemistry.

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Just got off the phone with Bruce Rittel. His server is down and apparently has been for some time. Someone hacked into it and brought down the server crippling all it's sites.
His webmaster is in the process of gathering information and is moving everything over to taxidermy.net.
Say's he'll inform me when it's back up.

------------------
~River Runner~

Champion Tannery
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Back