Don: Story of a Lion Dog

That was a good read! Makes me wish I had a dog!

Just out of curiosity.. Why in the [beeep] were they tying up lions?!

Back then, a lot of houndsmen would rope a lion, tie it up and take it home with them. Then use it to train other hounds on by releasing it and treeing it again and again. They would use one for a while then let it go and catch another one.

Buffalo Jones was selling them to zoos. They would keep them chained up in camp while they hunted other lions and then they would pack them out on horseback some kind of a way when the hunt was over. I would love to have seen how they did all that.

Yeah, sorry about that. When I found the link I didn't read it through, so I didn't realize the whole thing wasn't there. I have a book with a collection of Zane Grey sporting stories which is where I first read it. It's worth it to buy the book because he has lots of good stories in it.

says page unavailable when i click it? but i assume its from the book where they were catching lions in grand canyon. great book. dont remember the name of it but seems like it had some good pics too.

I read the whole book by Zane Grey years ago. It went into great detail of the whole operation when they were catching lions there.....and there must have been LOTS of lions in that area.
thumbup1.gif

I also thought that it was interesting that when they were done with the trip, Zane Grey pointed wrote that he would never again hunt lions for any reason.

It never ceases to amaze me at what some folks will do. That's a great story.

I'm sure many of you have seen the Charlie Russell and James Walker paintings of the cowboys roping a grizzly.

Some people still attempt to rope bears.

Back