Law-Abiding, Honor Roll High School Student Faces Expulsion

hm1996

Staff member
Any PM members in the Columbia Falls, Mt. area free tomorrow evening? If you're not in the area, an e.mail to the list at bottom of post would be helpful.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=6097

Law-Abiding, Honor Roll High School Student Faces Expulsion
Support from NRA members needed!

Friday, December 10, 2010

Demari DeRue is a 16-year-old junior at Columbia Falls High School in Columbia Falls, Montana. She is an honor roll student, a cheerleader and a hunter. On Monday, December 13th, she faces expulsion from school because, after a recent weekend family hunting trip, she inadvertently left her unloaded and secured hunting rifle locked in her trunk, and then drove to school Monday morning and parked on school property.

The expulsion could be for as long as a year, but any expulsion could seriously hurt Demari’s college plans.

Details of Demari’s situation can be read here: http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_30256480-0282-11e0-ac8f-001cc4c03286.html

School officials claim they have no choice but to expel Demari. But the facts of this case show the unreasonable nature of the “zero-tolerance” mindset. Further, both federal and state law give discretion to school officials to modify the expulsion provisions in the statutes.

The no firearms rules were created to punish students who present a danger or who intend to commit crimes; not to punish an upstanding honor student who simply had a memory lapse. Further, it was Demari who voluntarily informed school officials when she remembered she had left the rifle locked in the trunk of her car. It is appalling that Demari is facing expulsion because of her honesty.

The hearing for Demari will be Monday, December 13, at 6:00 p.m. (plan to arrive by 5:00 p.m.), in the Administration Building at Glacier Gateway Elementary School, located at 501 sixth avenue west, in Columbia Falls. If at all possible, please attend this hearing and support Demari. Politely tell school district officials that blind adherence to unreasonable anti-gun policies does not make our kids safer, and in this particular case, would be a grave injustice.

Let them know that the only reasonable outcome of this hearing is to completely purge Demari’s high school record of this incident, so she won’t be in a position of trying to explain a “gun crime” to firearm-averse review committees considering college and scholarship applications.

Also, please contact high school officials, the superintendent and the school board and politely let them know that you support Demari, that you oppose any action to expel her and that a complete expungement of her record is in order. Contact information can be found below.

Mike Nicosia Superintendent mnicosia@sd6.k12.mt.us

Alan Robbins Principal arobbins@sd6.k12.mt.us

Scott Gaiser Asst. Principal sgaiser@sd6.k12.mt.us

School Board Members:

Jill Rocksund jrocksund@sd6.k12.mt.us
Dean Chisholm dchisholm@sd6.k12.mt.us
Barbara Riley briley@sd6.k12.mt.us
Darrell Newby dnewby@sd6.k12.mt.us
Gail Pauley gpauley@sd6.k12.mt.us

Jim Henjum jhenjum@sd6.k12.mt.us
Larry Wilson lwilson@sd6.k12.mt.us
Scott Emmerich semmerich@sd6.k12.mt.us

Regards,
hm

The only up side to this whole stupid situation is they said they would not pursue an exoulsion. But most likly will only suspend her until after xmas Break .

cool.gif
I certainly hope she is treated with reason and wisdom!

Good hunting!
thumbup1.gif

ANOTHER case of honesty is not the best policy. How stupid can they get anyway. The kid was honest about it and gets punished. Hey! Maybe there is room here(at this school) to teach the kids that lying is the best policy. What do you all think? Good plan?

Such idiots...............................................

Originally Posted By: hm1996The expulsion could be for as long as a year, but any expulsion could seriously hurt Demari’s college plans.

Homeschool her for the next year. Her college plans might actually improve.

Or, shoot... just take the GED, ACT, etc and get started on college right now.

It gets worse! Just had a first grader suspended down here the other day for making a threatening gesture with his thumb and index finger.

images.jpg

No joke... 24 hour in school suspension!!

Originally Posted By: Rocky1It gets worse! Just had a first grader suspended down here the other day for making a threatening gesture with his thumb and index finger.

See? That's what I was referring to over
HERE

In the case of the 1st grader, someone, with the whole Loughner thing hot on their brain, possibly over-reacted to the situation and served out swift justice, according to the book. It PROBABLY was nothing, but what if the 1st grader is a Loughner in-waiting and you did nothing (like Pima College....)? Better order up psych exams, just in case.

I'm exaggerating, of course... but maybe not too much!

cool.gif
A while back, there was a book out entitled "The Death of Common Sense!" Did'nt get a chance to read it, but it sure appears that the Zero Tolerance policies should be modified by the practical judgment of the Principal or other school official.

The background and record should be carefully considered when making a punishment decision like that one.

When I worked in one of the Alternative Schools in OKC, I had to balance the need to hand cuff a larger student who had become very angry. Immediately, the Principal wanted me to get those cuffs off as soon as possible. These kids had already been removed from regular school.

In my opinion, the Zero Tolerance Policy is solely designed to be implemented so that Teachers and Administrators can shield themselves from the many law suits seeking fabulous amounts of money when something goes wrong.

Good hunting!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: ExpertMarksman
cool.gif
A while back, there was a book out entitled "The Death of Common Sense!" Did'nt get a chance to read it, but it sure appears that the Zero Tolerance policies should be modified by the practical judgment of the Principal or other school official.

The background and record should be carefully considered when making a punishment decision like that one.

When I worked in one of the Alternative Schools in OKC, I had to balance the need to hand cuff a larger student who had become very angry. Immediately, the Principal wanted me to get those cuffs off as soon as possible. These kids had already been removed from regular school.

In my opinion, the Zero Tolerance Policy is solely designed to be implemented so that Teachers and Administrators can shield themselves from the many law suits seeking fabulous amounts of money when something goes wrong.

Good hunting!
thumbup.gif

In a round about way you are right, however I have never worked with any principal or any teacher who did not want to help studetns. I have never worked with an educator whose only goal was to get rid of kids etc. I do know that many state laws and federal laws do require the principal to make a recomendation for expulsion any time there is a weapon of a certain type found. This include knives, etc. I had to do the samething a couple times. A couple knives, a pair of brass knuckles, etc. In every case I had to follow through, with my responsibility to protect the other students and more importantly protect myself and family. In anyone of those cases I could have turned a blind eye etc., but if that students turned around and hurt anyone I would have been left out to dry.

I will state that he girls honesty should pay off. Once the prinvcipal or super intendent make the recomendation the school then reviews the case and decides the fate of the students. In her case she probably won a bunch of points for being honest and also haveing a good track record. I have seen boards decide on similar cases to just put the student on a probationary period and not expell.

Again realize that in many cases it is not the adminstrators or the teachers who really want zero tollerance, but it is a reaction to our society, and its sue happy nature.

In my opinion, these zero tolerance policies are absolutely ridiculous. I have a friend from Alaska whos son was suspended in elementary school because he brought one of the little green plastic toy soldiers to school. They suspended him because the toy soldier had a gun. Apparently, it was necessary to remove him from the other students because of this dire threat.

Knapper

thumbup.gif
Send your resume's to Angela Nelson @ arnelson@fish@wildlife.org She can send you a Job Description

You just might be the next CEO/President of the Council to Advance Hunting and the Shooting Sports, 444 N. Capitol Street, NW Ste. #725, Washington, DC 20001

Good Hunting!
thumbup.gif

Back