Home made shooting sticks!!

J.J.

After seen in one of my pics someone asked where I got my shooting sticks.
They are homemade & here is how I made them.

They are made out of about 1" wooden dowel rods.
shootingsticks2.jpg

I joined them together with a machine screw and a barrel nut. The nut is pressed into a hole just a bit smaller than the nut so that it won't back out & is flush. You are looking at the nut side in the pic above.
Before I tightened the screw, I open them up until they were perpendicular and sanded an indentation where they meet in each. So when they are not exactly perpendicular they bind against each other & sort of lock in place.

In the bottom of each stick I pre-drilled a pilot hole and drove a nail in about half way. This pushes down into the ground to stabilize the sticks. I thought about making a point on the bottom but I would probably stab myself.
crazy.gif

They do just fine with the head on the nail.
1292024549.jpg

I also placed a piece of foam adhesive backed stickers on the sticks where the gun will rest to protect the finish.
The enviornment has been pretty rough on the sticker's adhesive so I need to make an adjustment there.
Otherwise they have proved to be well worth the effort!!
1292024464.jpg

I not satisfied with the paint job so it will also get some attention.
The dowel rods were left over from a school project & the paints were purchased for another hobby.
So while there was a cost, it was minimal.

try black heater hose to fit over the end of the sticks instead of the foam adhesive. Or, if you don't like the black rubber, you could use some of the clear hose sold at most hardware stores, just be careful, as it has a shiny finish to it

Thanks for the heater hosse suggestion.
Unfortunately the design wouldn't allow the sticks to close with the hose around them.
Well, I guess I could just get a size or two to small and slit it. Then install it with the opening faceing the other stick. Ok, that may work.
See give me a little time and I can catch up!!
blush.gif

I'm not sure what I will end up doing.
The 1/8 or 3/16 inch thick stickers are scraps from a process at work so there are plenty to go around!!
I may just try to staple them to the dowel.

Like most of my projects, it is a work in progress!!
smirk.gif

JJ,
I have made about 5 sets of sticks and I found the best way to do the "V" section that holds the forearm is cut a groove in both sticks on the sides you see in the pic. Then put in silicone rubber in the groove and build it up a little. None on the sides that go closed so it don't affect the operating of the sticks. Believe me this is the very best. I tried hose, leather strips and they all slip.
I can be setting there in my spot and keep my rifle up to my shoulder with the gun in the "V" and reach down and do my FoxPro or anything else and can lean forward or way back with just my right hand holding the gun and the gun will stick right there in the"V" and never slip off. Try it, you will love it. EDIT: Oh I forgot one thing. You have to remember to open the sticks so the rubber is in the "V"...ha ha if you open them to the other side you got wood in the "V". Did that once.

IMG_0937.jpg

Last edited:
Varmit Als is where I got the idea.
I just modified it a bit.
His has the detent and can be used as a walking stick & stand up shooting stick as well.

That's a great site by the way!
Thanks for the tip!

Hey Peter did you use silicone from a tube?
I was thinking last night about cutting a grove in the "V" side of the sticks and glueing a piece of soft plastic sheeting I have. It is like PVC but much softer.
I wasn't sure the glue would bond the wood & glue.

I really like your idea. It should hold up pretty good as well!
Thanks for the tip!!

"JJ"

Last edited by a moderator:
JJ,
Yes you can get it in a small tube at any Home Depot, or a marine boat place. What I do, is after I cut the groove in the wood with a dremel or sharp chisel whatever, I clean the groove and around it with a rag dipped in Paint thinner so there is no oil or any other material. DON'T SOAK IT OR ANYTHING, JUST LIGHT WIPEING AND LET IT DRY FIRST..... Then put in the silicone in the groove and build it up a tad. The silicone in the groove helps it hold better. Then use you fingers with some spit on them and smooth the silicone out and down across the wood. It really works good. I tried Varmint Als to start with but the leather slips. Everything I ever tried slips but this stuff won't. One other thing, I'll bet my silicone lasted more than 3 yrs before a small chunk popped out, then I just pulled the rest out and filled her up again.
You can get it in the big tubes that go in a caulking gun but you use so little, then if you don't cap it off right it will dry up. Thats why I use the tube they have a screw on cap and it stays forever.
One other thing. I don't use nails in the foot end. I pre drill holse then use a portable drill with phillips head and run long drywall screws in and leave whatever length you want out. Then I grind off the head to a semi point. They really work well in snow or ice or just plain ground. I do that part before I attach the two sticks together cause its easier to hold one stick when your grinding the screw head off.

Last edited:
Sweet! Sounds great! That was what I was thinking about the repair. Super simple as long as you kept the lid on the tube! Thanks again for the input!
thumbup.gif

You could copy my design. My "Sponsor" status will be completed come the 24thDEC'10...all the sticks the boy has made have been sold at other forums.

Just search my username, and you'll see them.
The 550cord is probably the best design around for both functionality and the "look".

Scott (think knots, lots of knots) B

JJ,
One other thing I noticed on your post. You said you use 1" dowels....wow what the heck are you shooting a howitzer....your rifle isn't that heavy...just bustin your chops, but you don't need all that. I use 1/2 inch dowels or make them out of sq. stock about 1/2 by 5/8ths. You just have to use a smaller diameter bolt to put them together. Believe me if you make another set don't use the one inch dowels. Not needed and heavier to carry.

Puffy,
That probably would work but you'd have to keep it off the inside part of each stick where they come together or you won't get them closed very easy plus it would rub off closing them each time.
EDIT: After thinking about it, if you had a lathe and you turned down the last 4 or 5 inches above the hole where the bolt goes. Say your sticks are 5/8ths in Dia. If you took down the upeer 4 inches to about 3/8th, then when you dipped them the rubber would come back up to maybe 1/2 inch in dia. then they would close....Ga-beesh ??? Good luck The silicone rubber I showed earlier would be easy.

Last edited:
i just put 2 body washers between mine...and you can use a number of things and they will close all the way....
also a strap on them to put around the shoulder is nice...

I would use heat shrink. Any decent electrical supply house should have it. It comes in all different sizes. I'll be that would solve your problem.

Back