skinning a coyote......

centerfire_223

I have only killed 2 and for different reasons didn't get to skin them out. What I am looking for is, How do I go about skinning it? I have skinned many big game animals over the years but never a animal that I want to keep the fur on. A quick how to and what not to do would certainly be helpful. I have read about a video about skinning a coyote out there somewhere. But can't find a website for it.

Thanks,
Ronnie

Where can I find it? It almost just doesn't justify its self. No more than I get. HeHe!!
Does anyone have a web address or know how to get it?

Ronnie

If you go to XXXXXXXXX under a section called e-mail questions or something similar they have a thing that tells how to do it. Its pretty simple, well its hard as hell to do, but the steps are simple.

Ronnie,
I put this address up incase you didn't find what you were looking for. Call this guy Roy Finley, and get one of his videos. Even if you don't get a large number of coyotes, it contains helpful info for skinning other critters. I thought it was well worth the money I spent for it.
Finley furs
Route 1 Box 45
Claude, Tx. 79019
PH# 806-944-5464
I don't think you can go wrong with this video.

I must be old fashioned cuz I'm still addicted to the old method.
Hang him up by the hind ankles, preferably legs apart.
Make a cut all the way around each hind leg about three inches up from the paw. From there make a cut on the inside of each hind leg going from your first cut straight down to the genitials, don't cut them
wink.gif
Cut a circle around the software and then go back up to the hind legs and begin peeling them out of the skin by your cuts.
When you get down to the hips, peel carefully as to leave the genitials. Make a small cut from the genitials to the anus and peel the hide out around the tail being carefull to leave the tail intact with the rest of the hide.
From there on in it's mostly pulling and cutting. When I can't pull no more I circle the torsoe with the knife and peel some more.
Front armpist are a bit of a challenge, when I get to them I use the shank of a screwdriver and push it through the membrane just ahead of the front limb and pull to seperate the skin. Get them close enough to the paw and make a circular cut around the paw as done with the hind legs.
Down by the head you want to cut as close as possible when you get to the ears, to make sure you don't cut them off in the process.
If the animal is going to be mounted, it's best to leave the head in so that we can skin the hide with the eyelids and lips still intact.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Thanks RR. It sounds to me like. Its a lot like skinning a deer. I was listening to a tape this morning. Bill Bynum was talking about spraying the animal down with flea killer and using rubber gloves to do all of this. Do you recommend that too. I use the gloves already when skinning. But was wondering about the flea spray. I was looking at some of the pictures in the photo gallery. It looked like in a couple of those they had given the coyote a bath before skinning.

Ronnie

I always wear rubber gloves, you never know what lurks in the blood of some critters.
Fleas won't live on a human being to the best of my knowledge, and I've never really worried about them. They will jump off and look for a new host as the animal cools, so I usually try to keep my dog away when I'm skinning anything fresh.
Ticks are a little different, I like to watch and make sure none of them boys get to cozy, they will make themselves right at home on a human.
I wash any hide that I skin, the minute that I get it off the animal. Salt will set blood in fur and I salt everything, so I like to wash them before that. I've never tried washing the animal before skinning, doesn't seem worth it to me unless he was covered in mud or something.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Back